He's got a big brown jug with three Xs on it.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jjshin, Aug 6, 2010.

1. jjshin Senior Member

The man: "Hey"
    His friend: "Oh, he's not saying hello. He is just telling you what he feed his horses."

The man: Can I buy you a drink?
    His friend: He's got a big brown jug with three Xs on it.

I'm watching "How I met your mother"

The man looks like working in the farm because he is wearing overalls.

The man is flirtting a girl.
    The man said,
    "Can I buy you a drink?"
    And then the friend throws a joke.
    "He's got a big brown jug with three Xs on it."

I guess "big brown jug" is a beer.
    what is three Xs?

Someone told me "big brown jug" is agricultural pesticide.

Thank you for your help
  2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

What this should mean is that he has a big, brown jug full of whiskey. In cartoons about hillbillies, they are often shown drinking out of jugs that are marked with "XXX". I do think this mark has been used to designate poison, but in popular culture it has come to mean that something has whiskey in it. The whiskey would likely be "moonshine", or illegal liquor made by bootleggers.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    A big brown jug might look like this. And it would be filled with whiskey or moonshine (homemade alcohol). The XXX is just a cartoonish way of suggesting that it is extremely strong or potent.

Edit: I see owlman and I hang out in the same neck of the woods.
  4. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

English, UK
    The traditional symbol for poison is a skull and crossbones, also used for pirate flags and notices warning of danger from mines or high tension cables etc. In general the word POISON is used instead these days. The XXX indicates the great strength or potency of the liquor, moonshine or hooch. The way X is used commercially to indicate the sizes of clothing or eggs must be following the same idea: XL = extra large. As you are in Sidney, you will be familiar, though possibly not intimately, with the strong Australian beer Foster's XXXX with a rather pretentious fourth X.
  5. jjshin Senior Member

Wow~ thank you arrius!!!
  6. jjshin Senior Member

FOUR X BEER is my favorite!
    It's actually very light
  7. mplsray Senior Member

The following is from the Oxford English Dictionary entry "X."

It's a usage which began in the 19th century. I would guess that the use of XXX in regard to moonshine derives from this usage.

Addition: I found a snippet view via Google Books of a usage of "triple X" in print, from Harvard Lampoon, Volume 77, Issue 4, page 93 (1919):

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010