He's itching for a fight.

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

hello, do you use any idiom with words itching, fight or palm, hand to express some one wants to fight, hit some one? Thanks.

Hungarian: viszket a tenyere [viszket itching + tenyér palm > his palm is itching] > he want to fight, to hit some one

The exact idioms, just like the Hungarian are used also in Czech, Slovak, Polish, Slovene, BSC, but I won't write them all down now. :)
  2. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    руки чешутся /ruki tcheshutsia/ - (lit. hands are itching) - when a person wants to do something in general (including fight)
    кулаки чешутся /kulaki tcheshutsia/ - (lit. fists are itching) - less common, it means specifically wanting to fight
  3. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek:

«Τρώγεται γιά καβγά» ['troʝete ʝa kav'ɣa]
    lit. "He's eaten up for (a) fight"

v. «τρώγομαι» ['troɣome], mediopassive voice of «τρώ(γ)ω» ['tro(ɣ)o] < Koine v. «τρώγω» 'trōgō (onomatopoeic verb imitative of gnawing) --> to gnaw, nibble, munch

Masc. noun «καβγάς» [kav'ɣas] (coll.), a Turkish loan < kavga (fight, quarrel)
    When our palm is itching we're about to receive a large amount of money in cash :)
  4. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

That's what we are discussing in the Culture Café. :) Can you see that forum? Feel free to cooperate.
  5. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Same in Tagalog, itchiness in palm mean 1.) left = money spending 2.) right palm= it is likely that you will receive money. When someone want to have a fight, there is a static feeling around the ears and it is called " Nagpanting ang tenga".
  6. bibax Senior Member

svrbí mě ruce = (my hands are itching) I want to do something (according to context);
    svrbí mě prsty = (my fingers are itching) I want to write something (a book, for instance), to paint something, etc.;
    svrbí mě dlaň (sing.)= (my palm is itching) I want to slap someone;
    svrbí mě pěsti = (my fists are itching) I want to fight/to hit someone;

There is also a superstition (though not commonly known):

when the left hand is itching -> we're about to receive a large amount of money;
    when the right hand is itching -> we're about to loss a large amount of money;

or vice versa :confused: :rolleyes:
  7. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

In Turkish if someone is itching, it means that he's provoking others and 'wants' them to scratch him (beat him).

[To itch and to scratch are the same verb in Turkish.]
  8. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Very interesting Czech comment to memorize them, I haven't heard any of them.

Rallino: How do you say it in Turkish?
  9. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

It's kaşınmak.

If I'm telling someone: Kaşınıyorsun (You are itching), I'm telling him that he has started pushing it too far.
  10. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Egyptian Arabic:

إيده بتهرشه /eedo betohrosho/ = (his hand is itching him) used to mean "he can't resist doing something"

for someone who wants to fight another one, we use بيجر شكل /beygorr shakal/ = (he is dragging for a fight)
  11. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Oh, now I got it, so it works in Turkish vice versa....
  12. bibax Senior Member

In Czech we use the verb pruditi (= to cause an intertrigo) in the same context.

Prudíš! = lit. You are causing an intertrigo!
  13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: mijn vuisten jeuken --- but it does not seem very common to me.
  14. panview Senior Member

In Chinese,we have the same expression .不打架就手痒。bu dajia jiu shou yang . Lit .hands are itching to fight. We also say xin zhong yang yang ,literally itching in the heart , figuratively say someone want to do sth.
  15. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    In English, "itching for a fight" makes sense and might be heard, but "spoiling for a fight" strikes me as an expression that's more set. A person can be itching for all sorts of things, but "spoiling" is associated with "fight".
  16. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

I think in this case we say "viszket a feneke" in Hungarian. It means his buttocks are itching, more referring to mischievous children...
  17. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello panviwe and welcome to the forum. It's really interesting to hear some examples from such a different culture. Feel free to check other threads and cooperated. Enc.
  18. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Maybe my version is more popular in other regions.