1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

he's pointing out the humourous timing

Discussion in 'English Only' started by colum4, Apr 22, 2014.

1. colum4 Senior Member

China-Chinese
    Hi,
    My friend and I discuss a English question.

Context: Friends Season 1 Episode 1. Ross breaks up with his girlfriend. He is talking with other people.Chandler advise Ross to find joy.

Ross: I do not want to be single. I just... I just wanna be married again!
    (at this point, Rachel enters in a wet wedding dress and starts to search the room)

Chandler: And I just want a million dollars!(He extends his hand hopefully)

Basing on this context, I ask my friend what And I just want a million dollars mean

My friend responds me:
    He's making a joke, because Ross said that he wants to be married and Rachel enters in a wedding dress. So he's pointing out the humourous timing of Rachel's entrance by making a wish of his own.

What does point out mean? according to its gerenal meaning, the sentence's meaning is unclear to me.

what does
    humourous timing respresent? humourous timing= a humourous time to __?__

Can I use time to replace timing?

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Ross says he wants to be married. Coincidentally a women walks into the room wearing a wedding dress. It seems as though his wish has been granted. The timing (the fact that the two things happened at the same time) is humorous. It makes us laugh that a wish coud come true so quickly. We know it is not really true but it seems like it for a moment.

Chandler thinks that maybe today, wishes are coming true so he makes a wish and hopes that a million dollars will come to him just as quickly. He doesn't really believe it but he is pointing out (indicating/making it clear/showing) that Ross was lucky with his wish.

3. colum4 Senior Member

China-Chinese
    Hi,
    Thank you for your help.

timing=the fact that the two things happened at the same time,

So, why does he add of Rachel's entrance behind humourous timing? I think it is unnecessary?

Thank you.

4. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I think you must ask your friend that!

AE: humor
    BE: humour
    AE and BE: humorous

5. colum4 Senior Member

China-Chinese
    Hi,
    I also want to ask him, but My friend is lost, so I have to ask native speakers.

From your point of view, do you think it is necessary?

In my view, I think of Rachel's entrance makes the sentence wrong, the meaning of the sentence is unclear to me.

Thank you.

6. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    What do you think "of Rachel's entrance" means?

7. colum4 Senior Member

China-Chinese
    Hi,

In my view, Rachel's entrance= the event of Rachel entrancing the room

According to your sentences, you say "The timing=the fact that the two things happened at the same time".

So, I think the original sentence can be changed to this:he's pointing out the humourous fact that the two things happened at the same time of Rachel's entrance by making a wish of his own.

Then, I think Rachel's entrance is included in two things, or Rachel's entrance is included in the fact.

So, I think
    Rachel's entrance is not necessary, it makes this sentence wrong.

I think
    he's pointing out the humourous timing by making a wish of his own and he's pointing out the humourous fact that the two things happened at the same time by making a wish of his own are both right.

Am I right?

Thank you.

8. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    By replacing the words in in the sentence with phrases describing the meaning of the words, you will often make an ungrammatical sentence because the phrases weren't meant to fit into the sentence. That doesn't mean that the original sentence is incorrect.

9. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    The two things do not happen at the same time, they happen in sequence.
    Timing is a technical term in performance contexts. I do not see anything wrong in your friend's original wording.

10. colum4 Senior Member

China-Chinese
    Hi,
    If the original sentence is right, can I use of Ross's saying rather than of Rachel's entrance?

Then the sentence is--So he's pointing out the humourous timing of Ross's saying by making a wish of his own.

Is it right?

Thank you.

11. colum4 Senior Member

China-Chinese
    Hi,
    Thank you for your help.

Can I usetimeto replace timing in the sentence?

Thank you.

12. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Not really. Ross would have made his statement (not "saying") whether Rachel entered or not. It's funny that she entered just after he said that. It seems like his wish caused a bride to appear.

13. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    No. Time and timing do not mean the same thing.

14. colum4 Senior Member

China-Chinese
    Hi,
    Thank you for your help.

Would you tell me what timing equal here? I really do not understand.

I mean, what can replace timing in the original sentence?------So he's pointing out the humourous __?__ of Rachel's entrance by making a wish of his own.

Thank you.

15. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Well you won't get an exact equivalent but I suggest, So he's pointing out the humorous coincidence of Ross's remark with Rachel's entrance by making a wish of his own.

16. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Have you looked at "timing" in the dictionary? From the Word Reference dictionary on "timing":
    I think you can see that it's an idea that is difficult to express in one word other than "timing." ;)

17. colum4 Senior Member

China-Chinese
    Hi,
    Now, I understand.

Thank you for your help.