Hi, I'm looking for synonyms to "pathological liar"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by roniy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. roniy Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    Hi, I'm looking for synonyms to "pathological liar".

I don't mean words like "liar", or dishonest person.
    I am looking for something in the high language or even maybe medical term for that.

2. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Can you tell us in what context this will be used? The answer could be very different, depending on the context.
  3. ashbury

ashbury Member

Shanghai, China
    :) "Mythomania", that's the interesting word I've found in the dictionary. Is that the right word??
  4. Brian P

Brian P Senior Member

It is someone who cannot tell the difference between truth and falsehood. In other words, who doesn't know whether he's lying or telling the truth.
  5. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Australia English
  6. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    "Pathological liar" is a fairly clinical term-- though I wouldn't be surprised if it's been "updated" into something like "fact-challenged personality disorder."

"Congenital liar" is an older term, and it means lying is in your nature, you can't help it.

Sociopaths and psychopaths don't know right from wrong in general, and this includes lying.

More colloquial is, "he's a born liar." Same meaning as "congenital."
  7. swyves

swyves Senior Member

UK English, Living in Peru
    Well, I made one up, looked it up, and it exists! Pseudomania.
  8. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    Thanks for beating me to the punch. It was almost too easy.

I think that pathological-liar is a well used public term. I heard a comedian describing her mother with that term and the meaning was obvious.
    I doubt that it would be possible to find a descriptive more accurate in this case than pathological liar.