high register counterparts of "biglal ze"

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by trigel, Mar 5, 2013.

1. trigel Senior Member

English - US, Korean
    (reposted by myself because no admin came by to restore this thread)

באנגלית ישנו הבדל בין מילות קישור כמו
    that's why, that's the reason why
    המדגישות את הסיבה, בניגוד למילות קישור כגון
    so, thus, therefore, as a result
    אשר מדגישות את הסיבתיות או התוצאה.
    כיצד ניתן להדגיש את הסיבה בלשון משלב גבוה מ-"בגלל זה"?

לדוגמא:

"Our police is racist, and thus many more blacks are arrested"
    "Our police is racist, and that's why so many more blacks are arrested"

אולי אפשר לבצע את ההדגשה על הסיבה או הגורם עם כל הביטויים האלו על ידי הבדל באינטונציה ("לכן\משום כך המוצר הסופי כה טהור").
    וייתכן שזו הסיבה בגללה ראיתי דוגמאות שיש בהן "לכן" שהייתי מחליף אותו ב"that's why".

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. Stifled Junior Member

Hebrew
    Hi,

For the first I would say:

המשטרה שלנו גזענית, לפיכך/בעקבות כך שחורים רבים נאסרים

For the second:

המשטרה שלנו גזענית, בגלל זה שחורים רבים נאסרים

Though the difference is very subtle, it does make sense to notice it. I feel that the first one puts more incisive blame on the police,
    as the word 'לפיכך' is more rife when stating a fact and not an opinion, whereas the second may carry the overtone of someone's
    personal opinion, which is not necessarily true. However, as I mentioned, there's a fine line between the two, so I think other people
    may disagree. It's not unequivocal. The reason for לפיכך and בעקבות כך sounding more reliable (to my personal taste) is because of
    them being higher words than other.

3. trigel Senior Member

English - US, Korean
    Are there other expressions than "biglal ze", "zo hasiba..." that frames the sentence as an answer to the question "why are so many more blacks arrested?" rather than the question "what results from a racist police?"
    (BTW is "zo hasiba she[bare result clause, without "biglala"]" or "zo hasiba madua/lama" ungrammatical?)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    The word לכן is somewhat high register, but not really. That is, it's common in written Hebrew, but not very in spoken Hebrew.

5. Stifled Junior Member

Hebrew
    מדוע and למה are both used to state a question whereas זו הסיבה ש states a result, so basically you're not supposed to
    mix them up. Both זו הסיבה מדוע and זו הסיבה למה sound very bad to me, although you might hear the following:
    וזה למה... and זה למה... but it sounds like slang to me. i.e. למה אתה רוצה להתחתן איתה? כי אני אוהב אותה - זה למה
    אני אוהב אותה - וזה למה אני רוצה להתחתן איתה - Due to the fact that we use it as 'street talk' using higher words such:
    מדוע and זו הסיבה would be too much. זו הסיבה מדוע or זו הסיבה למה is not how you want to phrase a sentence even as slang.
    To replace זו הסיבה ש you can try: לפיכך; ומכאן; לכן

המשטרה שלנו גזענית, לכן יש שחורים רבים בבתי הכלא
    המשטרה שלנו גזענית, לפיכך ישנם שחורים רבים בבתי הכלא
    המשטרה שלנו גזענית, ומכאן (נובע) שישנם שחורים רבים בבתי הכלא

I really can't think of way to convey the message without placing direct blame on the police.