Hindi: arav/aarav

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by java, Mar 16, 2005.

1. java New Member

OTHERS

hi to all forum members

i'm exploring the web for meaning of word " aarav"...but invain..all i found is acronym of it..which i'm NOT looking for.if anyone know he meaning of it please respond.

onemore thing to add meaning of word "arav"

so,alltogether two words 1. "aarav" , 2. "arav"

Thank you

2. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Where did you get it from? Any source? Some context eventually? Is it a word in Latin spelling or with other characters?

3. java New Member

OTHERS
    seems to be names.i mean a person's name

4. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    There was once a (famous) man called Mohand Aarav Bessoud. And what do you really look for? What do you want us to do?

5. java New Member

OTHERS
    i'm looking for the meaning.wat is menat by aarav.

6. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Sorry, I don't know that. Please wait for other replies.

7. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    [size=+1]Hi, Java!

Without the context, I agree with Whodunit, that the origin of the word or name is probably semitic in origin (Hebrew or Arabic). The transliteration you give reminds me of the Hebrew word עֶרֶב (erev = evening) from the following text: וַיְהִי-בֹקֶר, יוֹם אֶחָד = And the evening and the morning were the first day[/size]

[size=+1]In modern Hebrew the is pronounced ah: a erev. That's probably not it, but I wouldn't surprised if your mystery word is semitic in origin.[/size]

8. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    ,Eddie שלום

I would suggest following Arabic words:
    عارف ('aarif) = connoisseur
    عرف ('arafa) = know
    عراف ('araaf) = fortune-teller

I think the latter would be the best, but I'm not sure.

To Java: Do you know the stress? Where to stress? First or second syllable?

9. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    [size=+1]Hi, Whodunit!

I imagine your Arabic examples are much closer to what Java is looking for. And congratulations on your success in displaying the Arabic fonts. The Hebrew I copied underwent some drastic changes in appearance.[/size]

10. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Hi Eddie!

I write it directly into the message with an Arabic keyboard, I don't copy it. But if I use parenthesis, some smilies appears. :mad:

11. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    [size=+1]Thanks, Whodunit. For a long time, I wondered why I often couldn't get the desired results. You solved one of my conundrums.[/size]

12. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    You're welcome, Eddie.

13. java New Member

OTHERS
    hi
    Thanks for the effort ,u all putting in to help me out."Aarav" is a noun and the stress is on 'aa'-rav.

14. JLanguage Senior Member

Georgia, US
    USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
    You never explained the meaning of Arav or what language it's from. Is it the Hebrew Arav, meaning Arabia?

15. srivastava New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi,
    Arav is a hindu word meaning peaceful

thanks,
    rajat

16. Manish New Member

English, Canada
    Hi Rajat and Java,

I did a bit of research as well and came to conclusion that Arav is a hindi/sanskrit word meaning Peaceful. But I am confused about the pronounciation. Based on pronounciation what should be spelling ? Arav or AARAV ? Any word ?

17. Jhorer Brishti Senior Member

United States/Bangladesh English/Bengali
    Have you heard the pronunciation yet, Manish? The difference between transliterating the vowel sound as one "a" or two "a"s(the other method is capitalizing the "aa") is that the single "a" has a short sound like "uh" in english in the word "dearth". The longer "aa" sound is pronounced exactly the same as the "A" in italian or spanish/somewhat like the a in "father". In bengali it is much easier to distinguish since what would correspond to the "a" sound in all other indic languages is pronounced more like an "o" or "aw" in bengali. In bengali peaceful is "Shaanto"(" correct" transliteration would be saanta but this confuses the reader as to how to pronounce it")although I'm sure there is some cognate with hindi "aarav or araav,etc" I can't think of any since my vocabulary is mainly restricted to everyday speech so I would not be able to confirm for you whether it should be pronounced as "aa" or "a".

18. Shishya New Member

Kannada India
    Arav or Aarav is a Sanskrit word (I have named my son as Aarav) after searchig for the same in Oriental Research Institute, one of the reputed institute for research in Sanskrit located in Mysore. I reached this word while looking for it in one of the dictionary in the Institute. The word comes from Rava - meaning rustling sound, and Arav / Aarav means melodious / good sound / music. Hope I have been able to provide some details.
    Pramodh

19. Lugubert Senior Member

Göteborg
    Swedish
    M. Monier-Williams has in his Sanskrit-English Dictionary,

Aarava, cry, crying, howling; crash, sound; noise, thundering.

20. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Two contrasting definitions then. One says melodious and the other says crying. What is the correct definition? I guess I'll have to ask my parents:)

21. pintookash New Member

India, Hindi
    I named my Son Aarav, after consulting a Sanskrit Pandit.
    Aarav means peaceful sound.

22. Abbassupreme

Abbassupreme Senior Member

California, U.S.
    United States, English, Persian
    I disagree. Spanish "a" is not exactly like the "a" in "father". It's more like something in between the "a" in "cat" and the "a" in "father".

23. bunty New Member

India - Hindi & English
    Aarav, as others previously mentioned is a Sanskrit word, which has 2 meanings :
    1. Peaceful
    2. A well-composed/melodious sound

It is a popular Indian name, gaining even more popularity of late because of it's meaning and the ease with which it can be pronounced in almost any culture/country.

When used as a pronoun (name), it means :
    A person who is well-composed, poised and at peace with himself.

24. bakshink Senior Member

China
    punjabi
    आरव- पुं. [सं.आ√रू(सब्द)+अप्] जोरों का शब्द। नाद।

1. آرو आरव ārav also ārāv : (page 42)

for a community of hermits:—āraṇya-shasṭhī, s.f. A certain religious ceremony observed by women:—āraṇya-kāṇḍ, s.m. The title of the third book of the Rāmāyaṇ.

آرو आरव ārav also ārāv

S آرو आरव ārav (also ārāv), s.m. Sound, noise.
    ارواح arwāḥ

A ارواح arwāḥ, s.f. pl. (of روح
    Source: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ph...latts&query=arav&matchtype=exact&display=utf8

Since Aarav is a popular Hindu name choice for boys. I did some search through Google as well.

http://translate.google.com/translate_s?hl=en&q=arav&sl=hi&tl=en

The meaning of the name Arav is 'Calm, peaceful'. This page offers more name info like origin, popularity, variants, usage by language, public feedback, ...

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Arav.html

Origin:Sanskrit
    Meaning:Calm, peaceful
    Pronunciation:(AH rev)
    Source: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Arav.html

25. joed New Member

hindi
    The Name Aarav comes from the sanskrit word that means a peaceful rustling sound. It's a very common baby name for boys in India. This baby name became a little more common in India after the film star Akshay Kumar named his son Aarav. in colloquial Indian terms the meaning of the baby name Aarav is peaceful. but as you can see this is just one of the many interpretations of the name Aarav.

26. rahulbemba

rahulbemba Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English