1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hindi - baabuu-jii

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, May 15, 2014.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    For whom is the term baabuu-jii used for in Hindi?

2. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    I'd say for WCW's.

3. littlepond Senior Member

Hindi
    Could be for one's father. For a boss. For a person belong to higher class/status. Could also be used as a joke between friends, esp. if say one person has worn very smart clothes, well-oiled hair, etc. ...

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Yes, agreeing with posts 2 and 3 and with a little addition.

Essentially, the word means "father", also "baapuu" (but no where near as common) as in the "baapuu kii amar kahaanii".

The secondary and the more popular usage it seems is for a person who is educated, wearing a shirt and a tie at least but perhaps also a jacket. Examples of this can be given by way of two characters whose rural counterparts call them "baabuu jii" (One in the film Madhumati and the other in "do badan"). There is also a song by Asha Bhosle "ko'ii shahrii baabuu....."

I agree with the white collar worker definition. One could say that everyone who has a clerical job in the Civil Service, the Railways and other such bodies would be a "baabuu".

The word "baabuu" is used as part of proper names as in "Ram Babu Saksena" who wrote the first history of Urdu literature in 1927.

5. Dib Senior Member

Germany
    Bengali (India)
    Just to avoid any confusion, let me state this explicitly: it is used exclusively for men.

6. littlepond Senior Member

Hindi
    Since Quresh jii mentioned songs, it reminded me of the quite-erotic song "Babujii dhire chalnaa ..." (I think filmed on Shakila? I might be wrong).

By the way, "Bapu" is more commonly used - in Hindi - for Mahatama Gandhi. In certain other languages, "bapu" is the standard word for "father" - and highly used. However, "bapu" is never used for white-collar workers, etc. "bapu" is mostly used in those languages for one's own father, for Gandhi, or for elders.

Back to Hindi: There is also the derivative "babuaa": "o babuaa, tanik idhar aavo" ... an affectionate term mostly, and often used with children or teenagers, especially when they are smartly dressed. As in: "yeh babuaa bane kahaaN chale?"

7. Dib Senior Member

Germany
    Bengali (India)
    In the Bihari circle "baabuu" (but not "baabuujii") is often used by older people to address younger men/boys/male children affectionately.

8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Although not baabuu, I think it is nevertheless related to your contribution Dib (baabuu!): baabaa, although normally in (sorry, in Urdu, but I am afraid it is due to be used by some Hindi speakers at least): baabaa - normally used for the elderly but also in this situation for youngsters and not only in Bihar but in places as far remote as Pakistan. baabuu has been notoriously used as a honorificative for Bengali men in function because of the centre of learning in British India in Calcutta and then expanded to all clerks, but also to all Bengalis. The difference is that a baNgaalii baabuu is not a baabuu jii. Could someone tell how it is in Hindi actually?

9. littlepond Senior Member

Hindi
    ^ Well, it's not restricted to Bengalis: we also have "bihari baabuu". "marathi manoos", "gujju bhaai", and so on - these terms depend a lot on cultural contexts. I do not understand your question "Could someone tell how it is in Hindi actually?", since it is in Hindi that one is saying "bengali/bihari baabuu"! For the Bengalis, post Anand (the film), something like "baabu-moshaaye" is also very common, as is the addition of suffixes "-da" or "daadaa".

10. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Even though you didn’t understand my question you have answered it, for which thanks. Didn’t I write in my post that I was talking about Urdu? (sorry, in Urdu, …). I hope it’s not difficult to imagine that I simply didn’t know how it is used in Hindi and therefore asked this question?

11. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    Another variation in the usage of baabaa is:

arey baabaa, meraa matlab yeh nahiiN thaa!

12. littlepond Senior Member

Hindi
    @marrish: So far as you've got your answer, all is well :) Remember that anyone reading your post would assume that only the point about "baabaa" was limited to your Urdu knowledge. None of us possesses extra-sensory powers to know what you were thinking in your mind; we can only go by the syntax of your posts.

13. littlepond Senior Member

Hindi
    And also: "baabaa re baabaa, yeh maine kyaa kar Daalaa!"

14. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    baap re baap, aap to bahut tez haiN! :)

15. littlepond Senior Member

Hindi
    ^ Par aap bhii to kuchh kam tez nahin nikle, Chhaatr baabu! :)