Hindi: Conjugation of ''to choose''

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by knowledge123, May 14, 2014.

1. knowledge123 Senior Member

Hi. I would like to know how to say in hindi :

1. to choose = ?
    2.I choose = ?
    3.I chose = ?
    4. I will choose = ?
    5.Choice = ?

Thank You :)
  2. Dib Senior Member

Bengali (India)
    1. to choose = chun-naa

2. I choose = maiN chun-taa huuN (masc subject) / maiN chun-tii huuN (fem subject)

3. I chose = maiN ne chun-aa (masc object), etc.

4. I will choose = maiN chun-uuN-gaa (masc subject) / maiN chun-uuN-gii (fem subject)

5. choice = I can't recall any common direct translation. It depends on the context. In the urban speech, "choice" (maybe pronounced quite English-like, or more nativized like "chaais" or "chois", etc.) itself is quite common as a loanword.
  3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    chunaav/chunaa'o would be the noun based on the verb chun_naa. The word is commonly used for "elections" I believe.
  4. littlepond Senior Member

Agree with Dib jii, but for "I chose", I would go for "maine chun-aa" in Hindi.

As for "choice", in most contexts where that word would be used in English, we use "pasand" (liking) in Hindi: as in "the boy of my choice" - "merii pasand kaa laRkaa". Quresh jii and Dib jii are otherwise indeed right.
  5. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    Were you objecting to Dib's version due to the space between "maiN" and "ne"?
  6. littlepond Senior Member

^ Not the space, but the nasal. "maiN" but "maine" (instead of "maiN ne") for me, and I think for many other Hindi speakers.
  7. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    To add to the vocabulary, "choice" as an act of choosing, selecting: चयन (chayan).
  8. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    That's interesting. It's supposed to be मैंने in Hindi and not मैने, except in typographic errors.
  9. Dib Senior Member

Bengali (India)
    Maybe a bit too high register for a beginner?

I think, littlepond is talking about the pronunciation, rather than the spelling. As far as I understand, Hindi does not distinguish between nasal and non-nasal vowels before (and probably also after) a nasal consonant (it is common crosslinguistically)*. So, a native speaker may perceive the vowel as "unmarked"/"nonnasal", though I'll be very surprised if a phonetician's instruments will agree with that, given that the vowel here is flanked by two nasal consonants on both sides. In any case, I think it is a bit of splitting the hair.

For the thread starter, please learn that the standard spelling in Hindi is मैंने as Wolverine9 pointed out, and it is composed of "maiN-ne" (this is how I should have written it in the first place, I think).

* Bengali also has the same phonetic rules, and when Hindi speech is transcribed in Bengali, "maiN" is in fact rendered by "mæy" (ম্যায়) without any explicit marking of the nasality, showing how it is perceived by speakers of a closely related language with the same relevant phonetic rules but different spelling conventions.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  10. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ˆ I don't know if high register words should not be taught to beginners. I shared this word because it fits the requirements and is not misleading (as is in the case of chunaav). It is perhaps safer to say that it is too high register in some contexts, for beginners, advanced and native speakers alike.
  11. littlepond Senior Member

I think that "chayan" is a much better "chayan" of word :D than "chunav": the latter usually means elections and can be very misleading. Also, "chayan" is not necessarily any more high in register than "chunav", Dib jii. Thanks, marrish jii: nice contribution!