Hindi: "gosht" vs. "meet"

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by James Bates, Mar 21, 2013.

1. James Bates Senior Member

English America
    I was surprised to see a sign reading "yahaaN par machhli va murghi ka taazaa meet milta hai" when Hindi already has a perfectly good word for "meat": gosht. Now I can understand why Hindus would eschew this Persian borrowing (Hindi is, after all, being de-Arabicized and de-Persianized and Sanskritized), but wouldn't the logical replacement be of Sanskritic origin, i.e. maas?

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    If there was an intention of using de-Arabicized/de-Persianized/de-Urduized language, then مرغی murghi and تازہ taazah would probably also have been replaced. It could be that the people who made the sign were more used to using meat rather than گوشت gosht...or thought that the English word would sound better...?

3. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    James, I like your example and it points out to the fact that 'meat' - miiT is frequently used in Hindi!
    Can you believe I was once invited by a Hindi speaker to share ''miiT kii sabjii'' with him and his family!:D It was very well prepared, I recollect!

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    And "va".

Or perhaps it would taste better if it was called "meat"!

5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Normally a native speaker of a language doesn't realize what the etymologies might be while speaking. I am of the opinion that taazah and murGhii are not necessarily perceived as Urdu/Persian since they've been employed in speech for a long time. James Bates points rightly to the phenomenon of gosht-maaNs-miiT. It seems a ''neutral'' English word is chosen to suit everybody's taste.

James, the MSH/Sanskrit word is maaNs, not maas.

6. James Bates Senior Member

English America
    Oh, I see. Thanks.

7. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    James, there is nothing of de-Arabicization/de-Persianization going on: "gosht" is a very rarely used word in Hindi; "maaNs" is as well not used that much except in the word "maaNsaahaarii". In India, we employ a lot of English words in our speech (linguists call the phenomenon "code-switching"), and the word for "meat" that we are most familiar with is in fact the English word "meat".

We use "maaNs" in certain other (idiomatic) contexts, like: "us ne to meraa maaNs noch liyaa" (pinched me).

8. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Alfaaz's got it spot on. :thumbsup:

9. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    Some words have more widespread usage and acceptance than others. For example, in the cities you'd find people saying "thanks" or "sorry" rather than "dhanyavaad/shukriya" or "kshamaa kiijiegaa" or "maaf kiijiegaa". Likewise it is mostly "meat" in place of "gosht/maaNs". In restaurant menus you would certainly find "laal maaNs" and "bhunaa gosht".

As one of the many native speakers of Hindi I always say "meat" (of course, not when reading from a menu), "sorry" and "thanks/thank you". However, when in the countryside I would say "maaf karna bhaiyyaa/maaf kiijiegaa bhaisaheb" instead of "sorry" and "dhanyavaad" instead of "thanks".

10. gagun Senior Member

TS,india
    Telugu-TS, Deccani-TS
    In southern india(DECCAN) goSH is used instead of goSHt

11. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    ^ Hi, gagun may I ask which language you are referring to? Telugu or Urdu?

12. gagun Senior Member

TS,india
    Telugu-TS, Deccani-TS
    in telugu we use word "MAANSAM" and in deccani(urdu) goSH is used for meat.

13. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    India is an independent nation, but English cultural Imperialism is in full bloom there.