Hindi: Keep calm and live on. Spring will come, and...

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Scyl_la, May 2, 2013.

1. Scyl_la Junior Member

Hi everyone!

I have a phrase to translate from Russian into Hindi. The literal translation into English sounds like:

"Keep calm and live on. Spring will come, and flowers will blossom by themselves".

If anyone understands Russian, the original phrase is: "Живи, сохраняя покой. Придет весна, и цветы распустятся сами".

My translation: शांत रहे जीयो. वसंत आके फूल खुद खिलेंगे.

I'd be very glad for comments from native speakers, I'm not sure it sounds right in Hindi. Or does it?..

Thank you.

2. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    Your translation is good.

My suggestions would be:

ShaaNt raho aur jiite raho. vasant aaegii aur phool khud kileNge

shaaNt raho aur jiite raho. vasant aaegii aur pushp svayam khileNge

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  3. Scyl_la Junior Member

Thank you!

4. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Hello Scyl_la!

This would be my suggestion (not an exact translation, but close to the spirit, rather):

"dheeraj rakho, jeevan ko baihne do. basant bhii aayegaa, aur phool khud-ba-khud khilenge"
    In Nagari script: धीरज रखो, जीवन को बहने दो| बसंत भी आएगा, और फूल खुद-ब-खुद खिलेंगे|

The use of "bhii" (left untranslated in English usually) is esp. important in my opinion.

5. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole

I think one thing to point out from the responses is that the phrase "vasant aake phuul khud khilenge"
    has to be changed because the two halves have different subjects. Before the "ke" the subject is vasant,
    and after the "ke" the subject changes to phuul. This cannot be done. Hence, GB and CHtr changed the connector
    to "aur".

6. Scyl_la Junior Member

Thanks again, everyone.

@tonyspeed: I'd like to think the same but as a linguist I've noticed that quite a lot of Hindi speakers use this structure (which wouldn't be possible in English or in Russian). I wasn't sure it would be possible in written Hindi, that's why I posted this question here, and I think I'll have to change the sentence after all.
    @greatbear: your version sounds more Indian, and it's good... But the client wants a literal translation so I think I'll have to stick to the first answer.

7. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Scyl_la,

You are requesting a literal translation - isn't it so that the original Russian sentence means: "live maintaining peace" or "keeping peace intact"?

8. Scyl_la Junior Member

marrish, not really. This verb has many meanings and in this case it means not maintaining peace around you, but within yourself.

9. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    This was what I was meaning to convey, peace within not without, in other words, ''live maintaining your peace''.

10. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    You are welcome, Scyl_la. However, just to point out, the first answer has an error: "vasant" is masculine, so it should be "vasant aayegaa" (not "vasant aayegii"). Also, as I said earlier, "bhii" and "hii" are essential in this phrase IMO even in the "exact" translation, esp. the latter ("phuul khud hii khileNge"): the sentence sounds rude, unformed without them.

11. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    I would translate it more evocatively as: dhiiraj rakho aur chalte chalo. bahaar aa'egii, phuul xud khilenge. You could use 'haus(a)laa' instead of dheeraj. They mean similar things but to me dheeraj carries a connotation of 'calm' (stay calm), and hauslaa skews to 'strength' (stay strong). The whole thing means "keep calm and keep walking (progressing/flowing). the spring will come, and the flowers will bloom by themselves."