Hindi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow ...

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by fp686, Jul 23, 2013.

1. fp686 New Member

Spanish
    Hello I need a translation from Hindi sanscript to english of the 4 following sentences , what are their differences and also which one is the best to say: " Live as if you were to die tomorrow, Learn as if you were to live forever". It's actually meant for a tattoo so I would appreciate if the translation is reliable.

1 जियो जैसे तुम कल मरने वाले हो पढो जसे तुम हमेशा जियोगे
    2 जीयो ऐसे की कल मरना हो, सीखो ऐसे जैसे की हमेशा जीना हो
    3 ऐसे जियो जैसे कि तुम कल मरने वाले हो और
    4 जियो ऐसे ज़ैसे क़ल मरना हो,सीखो ऐसे ज़ैसे क़ि ज़ीवित रहोगे हमेशा ।

Thank you in advance!

2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    If you need it for a tattoo, it would be cruel I didn't respond as no-one did. I don't know if you are following this thread so I would like to hear from you before I offer any suggestions.

Just to let you know, all the four sentences are wrong.

3. fp686 New Member

Spanish
    sick thanks for replying ya I actually thought there were ungrammatical but I found this one and I wonder if it is a good one:

जियो ऐसे जैसे कल मरना हो, सीखो ऐसे जैसे सदा जीना हो ... other wise do you have a translation to suggest.

thanks very much.

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This sounds pretty fine to me. "ho" could be replaced by "hai".

5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, as my friend said it is a pretty good translation. Another taking, quite literal would be
    तुम्हें कल मरना हो यूँ जियो, सदा जीना होता यूँ शिक्षा प्राप्त करो। tumheN kal marnaa ho yuuN jiyo, sadaa jiinaa hotaa yuuN shikshaa praapt karo. I hope Hindi speaking friends can say more.

6. fp686 New Member

Spanish
    ok cool but if I were to replace the "ho" by the "hai" how would I write that in sanskript?

7. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Not Sanskrit but Hindi! जियो ऐसे जैसे कल मरना हो, सीखो ऐसे जैसे सदा जीना हो

With hai:

जियो ऐसे जैसे कल मरना है, सीखो ऐसे जैसे सदा जीना है

8. fp686 New Member

Spanish
    Yeah sorry in Hindi I meant, although what is the difference with "ho" and the one with "hai"

9. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Let us wait for the answer of Qureshpor who suggested it.

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    "hai" provides a sense of certainty whilst "ho" leans towards a possibility.

11. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    And here ''ho'' is quite possible but hotaa is quite not.

12. JaiHind Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi
    Hi dear,

#4 in your list is correct and best fit as translation.

13. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    jiyo aise zaise qal marnaa ho siikho aise zaise qi ziivit rahoge hameshaa? Is it OK???

PLEASE DON'T LET MAKE A TATTOO LIKE THIS.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  14. JaiHind Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi
    Hi fp686,

As I said, #4 in your list is grammatically correct translation. If you use it in tattoo it will be fine. Just if you can avoid the dots at the bottom of the letters, it will be more correct. Here it is without dots:

जियो ऐसे जैसे कल मरना हो; सीखो ऐसे कि जीवित रहोगे हमेशा

Or if you want me to suggest you something, you can use the below line (it is slightly more poetic in my opinion)

जियो ऐसे जैसे कल मरना हो; सीखो यूँ कि जियोगे हमेशा

Your second suggestion is also correct: जियो ऐसे जैसे कल मरना हो, सीखो ऐसे जैसे सदा जीना हो ; you can use it too.

15. fp686 New Member

Spanish
    Hahahah I haven't done the tattoo yet, but the sentence that has had the most good responses is :
    जियो ऐसे जैसे कल मरना हो, सीखो ऐसे जैसे सदा जीना हो... and since it is something more in the future (Live as if you were to die tomorrow) I think it would be alright with the " हो". So if you were to get inked this sentence would you think it is gramatical enough to have it the rest of your life ?

Thanks