Hindi: Mitti paleed kar dena

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by borris83, Jan 8, 2010.

1. borris83 New Member

India -Tamil & English
    I came across this idiom मिटटी पलीद कर देना in a story.. Can you please give me the meaning of the idiom and also the literal meaning for every word? Thanks
  2. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I am not to sure if there is an idiomatic meaning to this, but literally:

मिटटी - dirt, earth
    पलीद - pollute
    कर देना - to do (compound verb)

So perhaps, to corrupt to pollute the earth? Where did you find this?
  3. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Well, there could be an idiomatic meaning to this.

The word paliid پلید in Urdu is a Persian borrowing and can have a stronger ring to it than just <pollute> in the sense of <spoil, contaminate (e.g. by chemicals)> but more in the sense of something being <defiled, impure, unclean, contaminated, foul etc.>.

Persian verb: پلید كردن = to defile.

पलीद / پلید paliid = polluted / defiled etc. (as above)

For us:

مٹی پلید کر دینا \ كرنا miTTii paliid kar denaa / karnaa = मिटटी पलीद कर देना

can have an idiomatic meaning of <to defile the earth / the ground / the land> or as PG suggested, to corrupt / pollute the earth etc.

Apart from
    پلید كرنا paliid karnaa, we also use two other verbs with the same meaning:

آلودہ \ نجس کرنا aaloodah / najis karnaa = پلید كرنا paliid karnaa.

In everyday Hindi you do hear najis karnaa but aallodah karnaa seems to be reserved only for Urdu.

I'm also curious to know where this line comes from. You don't hear this word that often these days.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Is this the same <najis> as the Islamic term? As I understand it, things/actions (such as sex and dog saliva) that are najis warrant ablutions before prayer. How is this used in Hindi/Urdu?

<aloodagī> I do remember using in Lucknow.
  5. borris83 New Member

India -Tamil & English
    Thanks... I actually came across this phrase in a story but I don't remember the context.. Anyway, here is another passage which has the same phrase and can you please translate the passage:

आज भारत की आजादी मानाने की कवायदें फिर शुरू हो गयीं। अनगिनत लोग एक बार फिर राष्ट्र भक्ति में डूब जायेंगे। लेकिन भगत सिंह, राजगुरु, सुखदेव, चंद्रशेखर आजाद, दूसरे के घरों में पैदा हुए अच्छे लगते हैं। उनकी माता पर दूसरी माताओं को गर्व होता है.... लेकिन यदि अपने घर में कोई भगत सिंह पैदा हो गया तो वो आँख की किरकिरी और खानदान की मिटटी पलीद करने वाला ही दिखाई देता है... विधवा विवाह दूसरे के बच्चे करते ही सोभते हैं ... अपने लाल के लिए तो अपने पसंद की बहु ही चाहिए होती है... समाज सुधारक, समाजसेवी, और तमाम फालतू की बकवास करने वाले लोग दूसरों की घरों में ही पैदा होते शोभते हैं... अपने यहाँ तो अच्छी नौकरी करने वाला कमाऊ पूत ही अच्छा लगता है... खास तौर से तब जब घर की माली हालत ख़राब हो... और इस देश की ८० प्रतिशत से भी अधिक जनता की माली हालत ख़राब है तो इस देश में नौकर पसंद करने वाले माँ बाप और नौकरी पसंद पूत पैदा नही होगा तो क्या होगा...?
  6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Well, najis is not just with a religious meaning. It also has implications of hygiene and cleanliness, e.g. a public toilet in many parts of the world are just najis! Here we refer to them more form the point of view of hygiene than anyhing else.
  7. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    You are not permitted to ask for translations on this forum.
    [Strict limits on translation and homework help. No proofreading.
    These forums respond to specific questions about text. They do not provide free translations. They do not provide proofreading and rewriting of texts. Thus, discussion should center on the word or phrase in the thread title. Additional source text is accepted only as context; please do not submit it for translation or proofreading.
    Help with schoolwork will be given only if you post your own translation/interpretation first]

But for the sentence with the phrase, I will give my translation,albeit it might not be completely accurate:लेकिन यदि अपने घर में कोई भगत सिंह पैदा हो गया तो वो आँख की किरकिरी और खानदान की मिटटी पलीद करने वाला ही दिखाई देता है...

But if in your own house a Bhagat Singh was to be born (arise) then he would seem only like grit/sand in the eyes and a black sheep of your family.
  8. borris83 New Member

India -Tamil & English
    Thank you very much
  9. bakshink Senior Member

Mitti paleed karna means to be the cause of ridicule or to ridicule.
  10. Not.A.Linguist Member

New York
    It is an idiom which means "To ruin".
  11. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    miTTii paliid/barbaad/xaraab/xvaar karnaa = to disgrace/to ridicule/to scandalise

You will like this one Faylasoof SaaHib.

گارا بنا رہا تھا جو مزدور راہ میں
    پوچھو نہ بے تکلفی اُس مہربان کی
    نالی کا اُس میں آبِ نجس بھی ملا گیا
    مِٹی پلید کر گیا مالک مکان کی
    انور مسعود

gaaraa banaa rahaa thaa jo mazduur raah meN
    puuchho nah be-takallufii us mihr-baan kii
    naalii kaa us meN aab-i-najis milaa gayaa
    miTTii paliid kar gayaa maalik makaan kii!!

Anwar Mas'ud
  12. JaiHind Senior Member

India - Hindi
    It is मिट्टी पलीद कर देना, meaning "to spoil something".

मिट्टी => Soil
    पलीद => Spoil
    कर देना=> To do (something)
  13. Sabita New Member

Urdu & punjabi
    It can also mean, "to do something shameful"
  14. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Thank you, QP SaaHib for the verses! Although I must say I haven't heard the expression uttered that often in speech.