1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hindi: My pleasure/With pleasure in

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Jianfeng, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Jianfeng Junior Member

Chinese
    is that "khushi se"?
    Thx.

2. rahulbemba

rahulbemba Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    You can say "मुझे प्रसन्नता हुई.", meaning "its my pleasure". (mujhe prasannata hui)

If you want to use it as a reply when someone says "thanks" or धन्यवाद to you, then you can use "यह मेरा सौभाग्य है." (yah mera saubhagya hai) as a better term, as it means and indicates that the speaker feels it was his सौभाग्य / good-luck that s/he was able to help the person - it is a humble gesture to express.

3. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    By the way, the concept of "my pleasure" does not exist in Hindi; that is, we don't say anything there where English-speaking people say "my pleasure." Unless we are using the English phrase itself, which we do all the time.

4. rahulbemba

rahulbemba Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I agree with this by and large. But there is a concept of telling "अहो भाग्य". People living in cities may not used it now a day, but Hindi speakers also had such a concept.

5. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Well, "ahobhaagya" has a ring of either hospitability or servility in it: I can't imagine two bosom friends saying it for every thanks (and thankfully the word is disappearing). Thus, it is very different from "with pleasure".

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو

In Urdu " kisii kaa aa'o-bhagat karnaa" (and no doubt it will be the same in everyday Hindi) means "to welcome someone". As you have rightly indicated, this welcome is not the same as the English sentence, "It's my pleasure".

7. rahulbemba

rahulbemba Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    You have not read the word properly. It was "अहो भाग्य", not the word you have used by mistake.

8. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Platts has this:

H آوبهکت आवभगत āʼobhagat, = H آوبهکت आवभक्त āʼobhakt, = H آوبهکتي आवभक्ती āʼobhaktī, = H آوبهکتي आवभगती āʼobhagatī, [S. आगत+भक्त], s.f. Civil reception or salutation of a guest, courteous welcome, courtesy. (The word is said, by natives, to be compounded of aʼo, 'come,' and bhagat.)

We use aa-o-bhagat (aa-va-bhagat) آوبهکت आभगत as much as we use خاطر مدارات xaaTir mudaaraat, خاطر xaaTir and خاطر داری xaaTir daarii - all with the same usage:

kisii kii aa-o-bhagat karnaa or kisii kii xaaTir mudaaraat karnaa or kisii kii xaaTir karnaa or kisii kii xaaTir daarii karnaa - all to do with welcoming someone but we don't use these in the sense of the English expression "My pleasure! / With pleasure!" , for that we use other expressions.

The expression I’ve heard most from Hindi-Urdu speakers in the subcontinent when I thank them is:

jii ko’ii baat nahiiN” , which is equivalent to “(Please) Don’t mention it” in English and “C'est rien” in French.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  9. rahulbemba

rahulbemba Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    आवभगत or aa'o-bhagat has nothing to do with this discussion. greatbear had answered about my word "ahobhaagya", which is Hindi/Sanskrit and just because he said aho-bhagya indicates hospitality (which in my opinion it doesn't) you people started discussing aa'o-bhagat with labeling it Urdu.

In this Urdu word "aao-bhagat", where from has the word "bhagat" come? What is its root word? Since you call it "Urdu", I guess that the root word would also be from Urdu or from languages like Persian. Please enlighten us with this.

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

I am afraid for someone to achieve enlightenment, there has to be a sincere and honest approach to the endeavour.

To answer your question, take a look at post no. 8. And if that is still not helpful, the source of this compound is the same source from which Urdu's (and Hindi's) thousands upon thousands of words of everyday vocabulary come from...words like meraa, teraa, aaNkh, naak. Is this clear now?

11. rahulbemba

rahulbemba Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I didn't want to make assumptions, this is why I asked you instead of reading another post. ("enlighten" was said in a lighter vein, as such it didn't indicate towards any spiritual stuff.)

So what is the root word for later part of "aao-bhagat"? Which language does it belong to? "meraa, teraa, aaNkh, naak" don't seem similar to the word "bhagat" so I guess they are not related to the same root-word....

12. Qureshpor Senior Member

I think this might be slipping towards "off-topic" or "chat". I am not sure whether your motive is to find out the etymology of this word for yourself or whether it is to inform me of it. I hope it is the former. Rather than spoon feeding a learner, it is often better to sign post them. Here is a good reference for all your present and future needs. If you have any difficulty, drop me a PM.

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/soas/