Hindi: passport to...

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by rovaniemi, Dec 24, 2012.

1. rovaniemi Junior Member

Lisbon
    Portuguese - Portugal
    Hi everybody,

Anybody knows how to say in Hindi "Passport to Portuguese" (the word "Portuguese" refers to the language here). It's the title of a book, and I'm trying to translate this title into different languages. The French translation is "Passeport pour le Portugais". The use of the word "passport" may seem strange here, but it's a metaphore and playing with words, and the book visually reminds of a passport.

Thank you for any help!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    I think it would be: purtagaalii tak paasporT

3. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    In my opinion, it would be 'purtgaalii ko paasporT' or 'purtgaalii kaa passporT' (which could also mean a Portuguese person's passport, hence this option is a bit more ambiguous). "tak" usually means "until", hence I wouldn't go with Wolverine9's suggestion.

Meanwhile, the English word passport is what is used in modern India in any of its languages, so it's futile to look for words of non-English origins.

4. flyinfishjoe Senior Member

American English
    Here are the suggestions so far in Devanagari:

purtagaalii tak paasporT पुर्तगाली तक पासपोर्ट
    purtagaalii ko paasporT
    पुर्तगाली को पासपोर्ट
    purtagaalii kaa paasporT
    पुर्तगाली का पासपोर्ट

tak means "until," ko means "to," and kaa is a possessive indicator like 's in English.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. rovaniemi Junior Member

Lisbon
    Portuguese - Portugal
    Thanks a lot guys for your help. I guess I'll opt for पुर्तगाली को पासपोर्ट. Is का the same or similar to को? I'm asking because I also got this translation: पुर्तगाली का पासपोर्ट. would it be ok?

6. JaiHind Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi
    You can also say, "पुर्तगाली हेतु पासपोर्ट"

7. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    हेतु here would translate to "pour" in post no. 1's French translation; that said, I am a bit surprised that why does the French translation have "pour le" instead of "au"! For the English "... to Portuguese" would translate to Hindi "purtgaalii ko ...", whereas French "... pour le portugais" would translate in Hindi to something completely else: हेतु (hetu) as mentioned by JH or "purtgaalii ke liye ...".

8. rovaniemi Junior Member

Lisbon
    Portuguese - Portugal
    Well, the problem here is that the preposition that we have to use in this phrase differs between languages, and it's not always the equivalent of English "to" (that's why I also give the French translation). Most languages have collocations like "passport to the future" or "passport to paradise", and basically i need to use the same structure (preposition) in my phrase as in these collocations. "passport to the future" translates into French as "passeport pour l'avenir" and not "passeport a l'avenir", the same with "passport to paradise" - "...pour le paradis" is much more common than "...au paradis".

So it's crucial for me to find out which of these prepositions is used in Hindi when we say "passport to paradise" or "passport to the future" - the equivalent of English "to"(को (ko)) or the French "pour" (हेतु (hetu)) (or maybe neither of them)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  9. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    For "passport to paradise" and "passport to the future", I would use के लिए (ke liye) in Hindi. A question: would you translate "passport to Portugal" as "passeport pour le Portugal" or "passeport au Portugal"?

10. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    It seems like " passport to Portuguese" here means easy access to the language or an invitation to the language. So "purtgaalii ko passport" won't convey that idiomatically in Hindi/Urdu. "Purtgaalii ki aasaan raah" ie easy road to Portuguese, "Purtgaalii ka nyotaa" ie Portuguese's invitation, more poetically "Nyotaa Purtgaalii ka" (sounds welcoming) are possible options. "Lutf purtgaalii ka" (the joy of Portuguese), "Maze purtgaalii ke" (fun of Portuguese, somewhat informal sounding), "Purtgaalii, ek safar" (Portuguese, a journey) are also possible. I am sure people here could come up with many more.

11. rovaniemi Junior Member

Lisbon
    Portuguese - Portugal
    I would translate it as "passeport pour le Portugal". There is a French textbook titled "Passeport pour la France", so it's the same situation and context.

Well, if you say that you would use "ke liye" in these phrases, probably it's also the best choice for my phrase - पुर्तगाली के लिए पासपोर्ट. Thanks!:)

12. rovaniemi Junior Member

Lisbon
    Portuguese - Portugal
    hindiurdu, these are all very nice ideas, and they would work very well if i wouldnt have to maintain in the phrase the original idea of a document. words like "road", "passageway" "journey" dont convey that meaning. its the title of a book, and in the source language (Portuguese) the word "passport" is emphasised by the whole graphical design of the book, which reminds of a passport (there are passport stamps inside, visas etc.). If the book is called "a journey" or "introduction" or something like that, there is no connection between the title and the design anymore.

13. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    purtgaalii ke liye paasporT (पुर्तगाली के लिए पासपोर्ट) literally means "passport for Portuguese", but I think it might be the best translation for your purposes.

I'm not sure how common hetu (
    हेतु) is. Some people might be unfamiliar with it.

14. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I agree, which is why I'd prefer "ke liye" instead of "hetu".