Hindi/Urdu: afreen آفرین

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by meray_paas, May 15, 2010.

1. meray_paas Junior Member

English - American/British
    Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to find the meaning of the word Aafreen. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Do you use آفرین aafriin in Hindi? Perhaps in colloquial Hindi but even their I don’t recall hearing this.

It is used in Urdu and is of Persian origin and we use it in Urdu the same way as the source language. It has two meanings:

آفرینaafriin = مبارک mubaarak/شَابَاش shaabaash/ مرحبا marHabaa = facilitations! / congratulations! / bravo!;

aafriin kahnaa آرفین كہنا = to praise, laud, acclaim, extol

آفرین aafriin = تخلیق taxliiq / خَلْقَت xalqat / پیدائش paydaa2ish = creation / coming into being; creatures.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    There's good reason you couldn't find it. It is a Persian+Urdu word, and means two completely different things:

1- from the verb aafriidan-آفریدن-'to create' (synonymous with parwardan-پروردن), meaning creator e.g. natiija aafriin-conclusive. The dual is aafriida-آفریدہ-created.

2- a word of verbal applause like 'bravo', wah or bah.

My guess is that you were looking for the second meaning.

4. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Man you posted while I was busy typing mine!

Wouldn't the synonym for the words you quote in this sentence be aafriinish?

5. meray_paas Junior Member

English - American/British
    I've never come across afreen in Hindi before. In fact, I heard it in two Pakistani songs: xxx and Rahat Fateh Ali Khan's Afreen Afreen

Somehow, "bravo" doesn't seem to fit the context of the first song. I mean, it doesn't seem that "bravo" was the meaning the composer is trying to convey.

In devnagri, would it be आफ़रीन ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    BP, actually I was going to write this because in Farsi it is as you say but then I looked up two Urdu lexicons and one had aafriinish and aafriinandah = Creator, and the other gave aafriin = creation! Personally I prefer the Persian usage <aafriinish = creation = takwiin>. These lexicons have, I feel, erred!

Well, as we say above it is used in Urdu and is from Persian. However, it seems there is usage in some Hindi papers (!) and of course those sites that might deal with Urdu literature but written in the nagri script:

Why do feel it this way? As we say above, it can mean bravo! = vaah!vaah! = well done! = good!
    But also implies:
    kiya kahnaa کِیا کَہْناकिया कहना
    <great, good, wonderful>
    Yes,
    आफ़रीन = aafriin آفرین , but in Urdu we also use it as aafrii.n آفریں .

तबीयत उसकी मानीआफ़रीन थी
    tabiiyat uskii maanii aafriin thii

طبیعت اسكی مانی آفریں تھی
    Tabii3atuskii maanii aafrii.n thii

His / her health was deemed to be great / good

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  7. Muhammad Maqsood

Muhammad Maqsood New Member

karachi
    URDU
    a song of pakistani singer Nusrat Fateh Ali khan sing a song Husn-e-Jana Ki tareef mumkin nahi, Aafirin aafirin aafirin aafirin its mean Wah wah or praise

8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    So you mean it is three syllables? aa-fi-riin? I also think so. The meaning we know already.

9. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Dib Jii, aap mujhe sharmindah kar rahe haiN. agar aap aise logoN se milnaa chaahte haiN jinheN Haqiiqii taur pih shi3r-o-shaa3irii ke fann par 3ubuur Haasil hai to phir is forum kii sair kiyaa kiijiye jahaaN aap Hafeez Jalandhari kii vuh maayah-naaz nazm paa'eN ge jis meN aaf(a/i)riiN lafz kaa isti3maal hu'aa hai.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.language.urdu.poetry/Hafeez$20Jalandhari/alt.language.urdu.poetry/pJFuaa1t9iw/cq47LDr3y5gJ

nazaarah-haa-i-dil-nashiiN
    unheN Hayaat-aaf(a/i)riiN!

Hafeez Jalandhari

agar aap Urdu 3aruuz (prosody) se vaaqif haiN to aap ko xvud ba-xvud patah chal jaa'e gaa kih shi3r meN aafariiN hai yaa aafriiN. mujhe lagtaa hai kih Urdu vaaloN ne ise aksar auqaat aafriiN kii shakl hii meN bartaa hai. (mujhe prosody kaa rattii-bhar 3ilm nahiiN!)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.language.urdu.poetry/aafariin$2F|sort:relevance|spell:false/alt.language.urdu.poetry/5bZrOFiiIg8/tsFeifGiW1oJ

vuh mard-o-zan liHaafoN ke andar ghuTe hu'e
    ru'b-aaf(a/i)riiN daroN meN vuh parde chhuTe hu'e

Josh Maleehabadi

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.language.urdu.poetry/aafariin$2F|sort:relevance|spell:false/alt.language.urdu.poetry/Da3MH2sKOjU/pd7sAEJSWy4J

man-o-tuu se hai anjuman aaf(a/i)riiN
    magar 3ain-i- maHfil meN KHalvat nashiiN

Iqbal

aap ke liye shaayad yih laRii bhii faa'idah-mand ho.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2200269&highlight=naazaniin

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. Dib Senior Member

Germany
    Bengali (India)
    Thanks a ton, QP-jee, for your excellent answer.

is forum kaa link dene ke liye bahut bahut shukriya, QP-jee.

Sorry, QP-jee, mujhe to adhii-rattii bhar bhii 3ilm nahiiN. maiN to aapke bharose thaa!! I naively assumed that Urdu would distingush "aafriiN" and "aaf(a/i)riiN" metrically, as would the common metrical schemes of Sanskrit(-origin) or Latin/Greek(-origin). (Disclaimer: I am no expert in either. I just have a working understanding.) However, I am not so sure anymore, after looking at this page:
    http://www.oocities.org/roshbaby/prosody/basics.html
    It seems to suggest that syllables like "aaf" would be decomposed into a sequence of a long and a short syllable. In any case, I think in two of your examples "aafariiN" is being rhymed with "-nashiiN". I suppose, that implies the existence of the vowel -a- in the penultimate syllable. Is that a reasonable inference?

Perfect! bahut bahuuuut shukriyaa!