1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, Mar 27, 2013.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    How would you translate this sentence into Hindi/Urdu?

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Could you provide some more context...(are you making a statement or asking a question, what kind of drawings, etc.)?

(کیا) میرے تمام خاکے/ نقشے (آپ کے لئے قابل قبول ہیں / آپکی نظر میں اچھے/معیاری ہیں)
    (kyaa) mere tamaam xaake/naqshe (aap ke liye qaabil-e-qubuul haiN / aap ki nazar mein achhe/mi'yaari haiN)

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    As a reminder, repeating Alfaaz's request, could you give some context please?

4. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole

Sorry. Somehow this thread escaped my view.

Drawings/paintings/works of art.

The person is saying that everything he/she creates is good to the other person.
    Specifically, I'm wondering if this sentence can be created without the use of lagnaa.

5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thanks for the explanation and regarding the fact that you missed it, what are we for?

I got the meaning of drawing, but what does precisely ''is good to you'' impart? And sorry for my thickness in this regard, but the point is we have to define things before moving forward!

6. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole

basically...aap kii nazar meN achCHii haiN ... aap ko achCHii lagtii haiN...

7. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    OK, you have answered your own question. ''is good to you'' means ''you like it''?

8. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I think, if I am not mistaken, you mean that whatever the artist is creating has a beneficial effect on the recipient (?). If I have understood this correctly then..

merii tasviireN tumhare liye faa'idah-mand saabit hoN gii.

merii tasviireN tumhare liye ek achchhaa shuguun hoN gii.

9. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    I guess I was going about my question in a round about kind of way.

I basically want to know if one can just say aapko merii tasviireN hameshaa achCHii haiN

I have heard someone use this grammar; whether it was a learner concocting his own grammar or a native - I can't remember.

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

Forgetting the blue sentence for a moment, what do you really want to say? Tell us in English. This may help us to reach a solution.

11. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    What I want to say is the title of the thread. If you have never heard this English construction, then I'm afraid I can't explain much more.

12. Qureshpor Senior Member

That's fair enough. If you can't explain the question, it is not easy to provide an answer. Just to be on the safe side, I've put the title of your post past a real Englishman. It did n't mean anything to him either.

13. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    haha. A real Englishman. Define that one please. You fail to realise English exists in dialects once again. It cannot be learnt all at once from books. (For instance, the term Englishman is archaic where I live.)

One example from the web:
    Second example from the web:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  14. Qureshpor Senior Member

You seem to have taken what I said in the wrong way but no matter. Any reason why you could n't have provided this context before?

tumhaare liye to jo kuchh maiN likhtii huuN, achchhaa hii hai

Englishman is a term in daily use where I am.

As you have modified your post, I'll try a translation of the second sentence too.

lekin jab tum chhoTe hote ho to har chiiz achchhii lagtii hai

lekin jab ko'ii chhoTaa hotaa hai to use har chiiz bhaatii hai

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  15. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Sorry, I was having a hard time finding examples.

Shukriyah. It seems I was looking for your first example in which you use "ke liye".

16. Qureshpor Senior Member

This "to" obviously means "for". You may have seen a book dedicated to a certain person in words such as "Saadhnaa ko" which would be translated into as "To Saadhnaa". So..

jo kuchh bhii vuh taxliiq kartii hai vuh duusre ko bhaataa hai

17. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    [Urdu] merii sabhii tasaaviir (mere sab xaake) aap ke nazdiik achchhii hii (hotii) haiN. QP SaaHib's 'bhaatii' is lovely.

18. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    "bhaanaa" is much stronger than "achhaa lagnaa" - one of the reasons that "bhaanaa" would be wrong here. The well-known English idiom (surprised that the pretender to Shakespeare had so much trouble in understanding this well-known idiom) does not mean "like" - in which case "bhaanaa" would have suited. Rather, it implies "like" - hence "achhaa lagnaa" is the suitable translation. In addition, as far as Hindi is concerned, "bhaanaa" can convey rustic or dialectical flavours (or poetical ones): it's not a word that one would commonly use in such contexts (one uses it in contexts like "woh laRkii mujhe bhaa gayii" - literally "that girl pleased me", but meaning I liked that girl quite a lot).

"arre, tum to mere yaar ho; main jo bhii kuchh likhtii hooN/likhooNgii, tumheN achhaa lagtaa hai/lagegaa"/"..., tumhaare liye achhaa hai"
    "lekin jab koii chhoTaa hotaa hai, tab har koii chiiz achhii lagtii hai"

19. Qureshpor Senior Member

My reply was of course from the Urdu perspective and the OP did ask for a translation without "lagnaa", if at all possible. And that was why I brought in "bhaanaa". This verb can be synonumous with "achchhaa lagnaa" as the following Urdu lines from the pen of Shakeel Badayuni show.

ruup-nagar se aa kar chandaa
    un kaa ruup churaa'e
    meraa man dekh dekh rah jaa'e
    bhalaa yih baat mujhe kyoN bhaa'e?

bhalaa yih baat mujhe kyoN/kaise achchhii lage gii?...Another example..

bhaa ga'ii kaun-sii vuh baat butoN kii varnah
    nah kamar rakhte haiN kaafir nah dahaaN rakhte haiN

Rasikh (raasix)

Now turning to Shakespeare. In Julius Caesar, there is a cobbler who in the opening scene of the play famously says..

"A trade, sir, that I hope I may use with a safe conscience, which is, indeed, sir, a mender of bad soles."

Now, if this cobbler had attended even a Hindi Nursery School and looking at the quality of the sentence he has strung together in English, he would most certainly have done a better job on the main jo bhii kuchh likhtii hooN
    !

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  20. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    In concept and theory I agree. I think the rarity of the usage of bhaanaa has given it a stronger (almost literary) meaning, at least in Hindi.

21. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    @post 19: even in the examples you have given, "bhaanaa" is stronger than "achha lagnaa": no cobbler worth his/her salt would treat "bhaanaa" and "achhaa lagnaa" as interchangeable.

Meanwhile, you can open another thread on "maiN jo bhi kuchh likhtii hooN", but the sentence is completely fine - probably you are quibbling over "kuchh bhii" vs. "bhii kuchh" as maybe your prescriptive mindset wouldn't allow things to run their natural course. Or maybe you are still stuck at some transliteration issue: when one has nothing to say, one can always find something to say.

22. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^ इति सिद्धम्

23. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Using "for" in this way, to me, seems quite akward and incorrect in English.

"everything I do is good for you" <---- This would mean benefitting the person, not good in their eyes.
    "everything I do is good enough for you" <----- This means "lives up to your standards".
    "everything I do is good to you" <----- This means good in their eyes or viewpoint.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  24. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Is this good enough for you for the intended meaning, TS?

25. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Please explain this one to me. nazdiik here seems to mean not what I think it means: closeness.

26. Qureshpor Senior Member

As you were not too sure of exactly what you were asking for, what I have offered is to the best of my knowledge and understanding.

27. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Here you are. Perhaps نزدیک nazdiik is not used in Hindi that much or at least not all the ways one can use it are left over in Hindi, but as far as Urdu is concerned, the expression کے نزدیک ke nazdiik, used as a postposition, expresses the idea of ''in the opinion of, in the estimation of, for/to somebody''.

28. Qureshpor Senior Member

29. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    If the word "are" is replaced with "look" in the thread title, I think it would clear up a lot of the confusion people have with the sentence.