Hindi/Urdu: almost

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by lcfatima, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    How can I convey "almost"

I almost took the wrong medicine.

She almost died.
  2. Rhman New Member

English - US
    I am not a native speaker, and I wonder if there is some construction that would work.

But I believe you could use "kariib-kariib"...as in "mai.N ne galatii davaa kariib-kariib lii"?
  3. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    For these we usually say:

mai.n ghalaT dawaa lete baal baal bachaa
    (میں غلط دوا لیتے بال بال بچا)

I almost took the wrong medicine.

woh marte marte bachii / woh marte baal baal bachii
    (وہ مرتے مرتے بچی / وہ مرتے مرتے بال بال بچی)

She almost died.
  4. BP. Senior Member

mai.n ghalat dawaa liyaa hi chaahata tha. (NOT a translation of your sentence. This one means 'I was just about to pop the wrong pill.')

woh [bas/goya] martai martai reh gayii.

The baal baal bachna expression Big F used is idiomatic for 'missed by a whisker (in fact by the breadth of a human hair here!)'.

Another great Urdu expression is lab e baam reh jaana-لب بام رہ جانا- 'be on the verge of something but eventually not making it through to it'. 3arz kiya hai:
    قسمت کی خوبی دیکھیے ٹوٹی کہاں کمند
    دو چار ہاتھ جب کہ لبِ بام رہ گیا
    Roman Urdu:
    qismat ki xoobi daik.hiyai TooTii kahaa.n kumand
    do chaar haat.h jab keh lab e baam reh gayaa

Remark thet this usage of 'almost' is different from the 'approximately' that gator asked about a few days ago.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I like the <bāl bāl bachā> a lot. That one works nicely and implies how dangerously close you were to taking the wrong medicine (or whatever the avoided task was).

Another one could be <x karne vālā thā>, which implies that you were about to do something but skips mention of success or failure.

BP sahib, I'm a bit confused on the <mai.n ghalat dawaa liyaa hi chaahata tha>. Do you mean <lenā> for <līyā>?
  6. bakshink Senior Member

We use bal bal bacha only to describe a hair breadth escape. In other situations "bas" before and "hi" after the verb incorporated in the sentence convey the meaning.

"Main "bas" ghar se nikla "hi" thha- I had almost left the home...
    "Hum "bas" pahunch "hi" gaye hain- We have almost reached...

If the work is almost done we say.
    "Mera kaam kareeb-kareeb khatam/khatm ho gaya hai". My work is almost finished. Hindi word for kareeb-kareeb is "lag-bhag"..

And Dear PG As regards liya chahta thha.

I would say...
    BP saheb ka hai andaze bayaaN aur.
    This is also used by the (advanced users).
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  7. bakshink Senior Member

Dear BP Ji
    I have made an effort to read your " sher" by pasting it on Word and enlarging the font
    Kismet ki khoobi dekhiye TooTi kahaaN xxxxx.
    Jo char xxxxx kahe labe baam ho gaye.
    What are these words? Let me guess. I think the second one is bataaN ?? and first one Kamzad? but what does that mean? کمند
  8. BP. Senior Member

bakshi saahab, sorry I had forgotten to add a transliteration. I've done it now^.

The word kamand-کمند- means a lasso or a line with a grappling hook used by mountaineers to get a purchase. In Urdu we have this expression 'sitaroo.n par kamand daalna'-aim hery high.

The second word is simply haat.h-hands.
  9. BP. Senior Member

X kiyaa hii chaahataa t.ha is equivalent to X karnai hii waalaa t.ha.

e.g. if someone asked you the time you could say SubaH kai aaTh bajaa hi chaahatai hai.n.

I admit I haven't heard this usage since granny's time by a live person, just on TV and that too more than 15 years ago.

Adding a sh3er by Iqbal:

koi dam ka mehmaa.n hoo.n ayai ahl e meHfil
    charaagh e sahar hoo.n, bujhaa chaahataa hoo.n

See gator bhayya, got you authentic 3aalimaana backing!
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  10. bakshink Senior Member

Irshaad BP Ji for the "sher". Thanks for the translation and a beautiful word "kamand". And sorry for being dumb how does kahe make sense in the second line- "Jo char haath kahe labe baam ho gaye".
  11. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    How would you spell chaahataa btw in Nastaliiq/nasx? I must say this word would be new to many. Are there any dictionary entries that would further corroborate to BP's comments? Does this term have anything to do with chaahnaa?