Hindi/Urdu: barkhilaaf (बरखिलाफ़) and baraks (बरअक्स)

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by lafz_puchnevala, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Are the above two words mutually interchangeable in the context of 'opposite'? Eg. meraa khyaal uskaa khyaal ke baraks/barkhilaaf hai. My thought is opposite to his.

2. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu

Good attempt!
    Your example needs a tiny correction: meraa xayaal us ke xayaal ke bar-3aks/bar-xilaaf hai.My thought is opposed to his/her thought (bar-xilaaf)
    My thought is on the contrary to his/her thought (bar-3aks, bar-xilaaf)
    My thought is contradictory to his/her thought (bar-xilaaf)
  3. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    बरअक्स - just so you know, this spelling is contrary to what is allowed in standard Hindi spelling, but I was just reading that this is a modern creation by Urdu writers to represent the existence of ain.
  4. souminwé Senior Member

Vancouver, Canada
    North American English, Hindi
    दरअसल is standard Hindi, and it operates on the same principle as बरअक्स. Perhaps बरअक्स was coined to represent the 3ayn, but it was intuitive to me based on the दरअसल paradigm. I think it's more for the sake of ease of recognisability in compounds.
  5. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole

dar in hindi/urdu is a preposition meaning in, on, at, or by so darasal is not really one word by a combination of asal and dar meaning "in".

is bar a prepostion? .... i'm guessing it is something like that since bar exists as in barqaraar and aks exists in my dictionary, and it seems to be separated as "bar aks" in online urdu dictionaries. But I can't find baraks.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  6. Alfaaz Senior Member

These entries might be helpful:

Yes, it is a preposition/حرف ربط
  7. JaiHind Senior Member

India - Hindi
    Please know that these words are not Hindi.