Hindi/Urdu: doing this was not merely an obligation

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, Aug 16, 2011.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    How would I translate the following sentence: In his eyes, doing this was not merely an obligation?
    Could I say this? "us kii nazar meN aisa karna bas koi farz nahiiN thaa"

2. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    The second half needs some tweaking. Here's one suggestion for those last five words: "...faqat luzoom see nah t.haa".

I can imagine other, possibly more complex, alternatives but it's best to leave them out.

3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو

us ke nazdiik aisaa karnaa maHz ek farz nahiiN thaa.

4. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Is the problem the usage of the word farz (फ़र्ज़ ) or the usage of the term bas (बस ) or the usage of the term koii (कोई ) ? I'm trying to stay as middle-ground Urdu/Hindi as possible and not
    dive headlong into Urdu which a Hindi speaker would not understand. What if I said instead, "aisa karna sirf ek farz nahiiN thaa"? Maybe this changes the
    connotation slightly but would carry the meaning that it was not ONLY an obligation, the implication being there was more to it that just something
    one has to do out of obligation.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. Qureshpor Senior Member

us ke nazdiik aisaa karnaa sirf ek farz hii nahiiN thaa[balkih us ke iimaan kaa Hissah bhii thaa]

In his eyes carrying this out was not only an obligation[but it was also a part of his faith]

yih kaam us ke liye sirf ek farz hii nahiiN thaa[balkih us ke iimaan kaa Hissah bhii thaa]

This deed was not only an obligation for him[
    but it was also a part of his faith]

6. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Thank you. This is what I originally had but I second-guessed the usage of ke lie in this sense.

7. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    उसकी नज़र में / से, यह महज़ एक फ़र्ज़ (ही) नहीं था|
    उसकी नज़र में / से, ऐसा करना महज़ एक फ़र्ज़ (ही) नहीं था|

8. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Strangely enough, after 2 years of Hindi this is the first time I am coming across mehez. How common is that word compared to sirf? Do they mean the same thing approximately?

9. Qureshpor Senior Member

Yes, but only approximately. I typed "maHz" (in Urdu) and this resulted in many hits. Following two sentences might be useful.

اردو محض ایک زبان کا نام نہیں بلکہ ایک مکمل تہذیب کا نام ہے

Urdu maHz ek zabaan kaa naam nahiiN balkih ek mukammal tahziib kaa naam hai.

Urdu is not merely the name of a language but it is the name of a whole civilisation.

اوبامہ کی حالیہ دھمکی محض حماقت ہے

Obama kii Haaliyah dhamkii maHz Hamaaqat hai.

Obama's recent threat is pure folly.

आज का प्यार सच्चा प्यार या महज़ छलावा

aaj kaa pyaar sachchaa pyaar yaa maHz chhalaavaa

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  10. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    tonyspeed, it's difficult for me to explain the difference, though there is one as sirf and mehez are only approximately similar. I cannot imagine saying "sirf ittefaq"; it has to be, for me, "mehez ittefaq" (mere coincidence).

That being said, mehez better translates to mere/merely and sirf to only; so here is an indication of the difference between the two.
    Yes, "mehez" is quite common, though much less than "sirf" or "bas" (e.g. "bas itna kaam kar de yaar!").

11. rahulbemba

rahulbemba Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I would say in Hindi: "Uske liye ye bas dayitva hi nahi tha."

12. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    "daayitva" translates perfectly, it didn't occur to me at all! That said, though most Hindi speakers know the word, some in the Urdu belt might be unaware of it, rahulbemba.

13. rahulbemba

rahulbemba Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Right... Many people use "jimmedaari" for "daayitva", though I know people who are good at Hindi, and they use Dayitva. It is charming to listen to pure Hindi words in conversations in Hindi.

14. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Moderator note:

You guys are making our job a bit difficult. Some of these recent threads have departed markedly from the original query. Please stay on topic or else the thread will be closed and off topic posts will be deleted.