Hindi/Urdu: Hi

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Kahaani, May 8, 2013.

1. Kahaani Senior Member

I had a few questions about the usage of hi. I know it's used to specify something, like, میں نے یہ تیرے لئے ہی کیا/मैंने यह तेरे लिए ही किया, which I'd translate as I did it just for you (btw, could میں نے یہ صرف تیرے لئے کیا/मैंने यह सिर्फ तेरे लिए किया als be a correct translation of I did it just for you or would I did it only for you be more suitable here?), but it seems like it also replaces verbs. This can just be imagination, but often, when heard in songs and such, there doesn't follow a verb after hi. Like;

Tasawar Khanum's tu meri zindagi hai.

Tu meri zindagi hai
    Tu meri zindagi hai
    Tu meri har khushi hai
    Tu hi pyar
    Tu hi chaahat
    Tu hi bandgee hai

Atif Aslam's aa bhi ja mere mehermaan.

Aagosh main yun bhar ke tujhe main
    saare jahaan se kar doon juda
    hai aks tere mere liye hi
    teri nishaan bhi mujhse juda

(I'm not sure of the romanized spelling of this one, or even the meaning for that matter.)

In the latter song I though the sentence might have been hustled, i.e.; tere aks mere liye hi hai(your reflection is just for me).

I would be very grateful if someone could elaborate on this for me,
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^ There is a lot to be taken in, Nigel SaaHib. My reply is solely from literary or educated Urdu speech perspective.

"hii" does not replace verbs. Neither can words like "sirf" or "faqat" replace it in all cirumstances.

Ahmad ne hii kitaab paRhii thii [Ahmed (to the exclusion of any other person) had read the book.]

Ahmad ne kitaab hii paRhii thii [Ahmed had read the book (to the exclusion of any other reading matter).]

Ahmed ne kitaab paRhii hii thii [Ahmed had read the book (to the exclusion of doing anything else).]

"hii" is used with all parts of speech.

bartarii ke subuut kii xaatir
    xuuN bahaanaa hii kyaa zaruurii hai?
    ghar kii taariikiyaaN miTaane ko
    ghar jalaanaa hii kyaa zaruurii hai?

Sahir Luddhiyanvi

For the sake of proving superiority
    Is it really necessary to shed blood?
    For the sake of removing darkness from home
    Is it really necessary to burn the house down?
  3. Chhaatr Senior Member

To me it means "I did it just for you" and even "I did it only for you".
  4. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    Here's a dictionary definition that may help.

H هي ही [prob. fr. S. एव; Prk. वेअ or विअ;—or perhaps akin to S. हि], emphat. adv. aff. Just, very, exactly, indeed, truly, only, alone, merely, solely, altogether, outright;—own; self;—(with inflected imperfect part.) immediately (on or upon), on the instant (of,—e.g. pahuṅćte-hī, 'immediately on arriving':——as Hall has correctly pointed out—is often most adequately translated by simply emphasizing the word which it qualifies in Hindī, e.g. tumhārā-hī hai, 'it is yours').
  5. Kahaani Senior Member

बहुत धन्यवाद/بہت شکریہ