1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hindi/Urdu: issue

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by BP., May 16, 2010.

1. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    I would suppose so, but don't bet on it yet. In Urdu it translates to both baat and chiiz, while I don't think there's a perfect translation for 'issue', we tend to replace it with mas2ala-problem.

2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi

If by issue is meant <matter, affair, point>, then yes we can use amr.

3. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    The word muddaa मुद्दा is used in Hindi to mean "issue," is it used in Urdu as well?

4. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    I heard that word while ago and was wondering if it was an indigenized version of mudda3aa-مدٌعا.

5. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    The first word that comes to my mind is mu'aamlah.

6. Todd The Bod Senior Member

Ngo hai ni doh
    English-Midwest
    Okay, so "amr" is like a non-physical thing, where "chiiz" and "bat" are physical or non-physical. And mesla and mu'aamlaah can also be interchanged with "amr"

7. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    BG, digging up one of your old posts :) Found the word and thought it make a good example. امرِمعکوس - a reiterated issue? Judging by its context, a "repeated بات," perhaps.

8. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    Yes, it is exactly that word in fact and technically in devanaagari it is मुद्दआ but most people just write it as मुद्दा

9. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    mudda3aaمُدَّعا really means <objective, desire, wish>. That is how we normally use it in Urdu and not quite as a synonym for amr اَمر , mu3aamalah مُعامَلَہ , mas2alah مَسْئَلَہ = issue. Although Hindi dictionaries do suggest <issue> as a meaning but we always mean as above.

[amr اَمر also is a grammatical term, meaning Imperative!]

10. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    I guess then there is a difference in the Hindi usage.

11. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    I feel there may be! Anyway, in Urdu we use amr etc. for issue.

12. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    Well, it is good to know that amr is mostly used in Urdu for "issue." I learned the word "muddaa" from the title of an obscure BW movie! I can't claim that 'mudaa" is not used for the other defintions that you give in Hindi, but I have only seen it in the sense of "issue" in Hindi writing. Maybe a Hindi native can elaborate some more about the word. I can ask my hindi mentor also.

13. Birdcall Senior Member

English - American
    In Hindi muddaa definitely means issue (i.e. yuddh ke mudde par), and maamlaa is a synonym. I hear maamlaa more in speech and see muddaa more in writing. baat is also an informal alternative.

14. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    How does one write 'amr' in Hindi?

Thanks!

15. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو

You go into Google Transliterate and type a m r. I know this will take a bit of work but you will get your result.

16. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    I always correlated muddaa with "point" in my head. teen mudde == three points. But, now that I think about it, point and issue can be used interchangeably.

17. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    I know that but the spelling there cannot really be trusted at least for Hindi ;)

18. Qureshpor Senior Member

The correct choice is made by seeing google pssibilities (click on the resulting highlighted word) and using one's own brain.

19. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    Be nice QP :) There are many possibilities to write it... Do you know Nagari?

20. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Though I haven't ever seen the word "amr" in Devanagari (in fact, I was unaware of the word itself till now), in Devanagari it would be written as अम्र. (In future you could go to quillpad.in and type a word in roman script to get the Nagari script, if you're in doubt.)

21. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    A good site! But would it recognize 'अम्र' as the sensible word although I may have typed 'amar' for example, don't think it gives meanings though...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  22. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
  23. Qureshpor Senior Member

Yes, I do know Nagri and at the same time I am trying to show you how you can help yourself. Is n't this being nice? When you type "amr", google comes up with the right word. If you put in the correct information, the chances are that you will get correct results.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  24. Qureshpor Senior Member

I have a few suggestions which provide different shades of meaning.

1) tanaaza3ah

2) savaal

3) qaziiyyah

4) mauzuu3

25. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    These are perfect representation of the semantic gamut of ''issue''. Please, can you shed more light on qaziiyyah, for I am not familiar with this word? How would you use in a sentence to illustrate its meaning as ''issue'''?

26. Qureshpor Senior Member

marrish SaaHib. qaziyyah is:

"dispute/quarrel/case/matter/affair" (an Urdu dictionary)

"lawsuit/litigation/judicial contest/action at law suit/case/cause/legal affair/question/problem/issue/theoram/proposition/premiss..." (Arabic dictionary)

You can see that it is an "all embrasing" word.

بابری مسجد کا قضیہ مسلمانوں کے لئے لمحہ فکریہ

Babrii Masjid kaa qaziyyah musalmaanoN ke liye lamHah-i-fikriyyah

27. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    This is how we use قضیہ qaDhiyyah in Urdu, but these also apply! Apart form these meanings, we also use قضیہ qaDhiyyah as a term in logic to mean a syllogism and in maths to mean a theorem!
    Besides all these, we also have qaDhiyyah karnaa = to kick up an issue / start a row; qaDhiyyah mol lenaa = to poke one's nose in / to meddle in other people's affairs / issues.

28. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    But, I guess in the end, people are using 'baat' the most in the context of 'issue/topic' at least in conversational terms... Have any of you heard QP's words (except savaal) in informal conversations before?

29. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you a lot Qureshpor SaaHib. It is a very interesting word, I like it. I'm sure you meant ''all embracing'', didn't you?

PS I just have realised that taqaazaa, qaazii and so on and so forth are connected to it! Everything is very clear now.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  30. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Surely, I have heard them, but only in Urdu. (except for qaziyyah).

31. bakshink Senior Member

China
    punjabi
    In some context word विषय vishay is also used.

32. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    How would you say ''the issue of Babri Masjid'' and the likes in Hindi?

33. bakshink Senior Member

China
    punjabi
    unhone Babri masjid ke vishay par apane vichaar prakat karne se inkar kar diya. He refused to express his views on the issue of Babari masjid.

34. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Surely good, but I understand vishay to be a ''topic''. I take the meaning of ''issue'' here as a ''row'', like the issue of Kashmir, the issue of Babri masjid etc.

35. bakshink Senior Member

China
    punjabi
    That's why I said in some context. Kashmir dispute will be called as "kashmeer samasya"..and the sentence can be "kashmeer samasya ke vishay par batcheet ke liye baiThak bulayee gayii." On the issue of Kashmir problem/dispute....

36. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    Can we use 'maslaa' here?

37. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I see. kashmiir samasyaa=mas'alah-e kashmiir. Thank you for the context sentences!

38. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I would use "muddaa", "maslaa" or "savaal" rather than "vishay" for the Babri Masjid (or any) issue: "vishay" not only means "topic" to me but also a kind of Hindi that is not really used by a lot of people.
    Meanwhile wouldn't it be more natural to say "kashmiir samasyaa par baatchiit ke liye baiThak bulayii gayii"? A meeting was called on the Kashmir problem, not "a meeting was called on the issue of Kashmir problem"! You can either say the Kashmir problem or the issue of Kashmir, not both, because the row is about Kashmir, not about Kashmir problem.