1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hindi/Urdu - "kaa in kaa" ?

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, Mar 27, 2013.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    In Hindi/Urdu there seems to be a way of formulating insults using what sounds to me like "kaa in kaa". So one could say "bevakoof kaa in kaa", "gadhaa kaa in kaa" etc... What exactly does this mean? Am I hearing this correctly?

2. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    QP-saahib says : "I think you have possibly "kahiiN" in mind. be-vuquuf kahiiN kaa, paagal kahiiN kaa etc" So does this mean "from somewhere or the other" in this usage?

3. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Could you perhaps provide an example of what you are hearing as "kaa in kaa" ?

4. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I think you mean "kahiiN kaa", TS: there is no need to literally translate it, it's purely idiomatic. Examples: "gadhaa kahiiN kaa", "dhok(h)ebaaz kahiiN kaa", "ulluu kahiiN kaa", etc. It intensifies the negative attribute you are ascribing to someone. It is also used playfully a lot; also used independently rarely (and sometimes with neutral words - e.g., "chal haT yahaan se! chhoraa kahiiN kaa!", "muuaa kahiiN kaa", etc.).

5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I agree with GB and appreciate his having indicated the lack of aspiration on the second syllable for 'dhokaa' in Urdu. GB, just to check, what is being meant by chhoraa in your example?

6. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    "chhoraa" means a boy, a teenager, marrish: more used in Rajasthani Hindi, but also used in rural areas of Uttar Pradesh. ("chhorii" is the word for girl.) You might be knowing the corresponding Gujarati words, "chhokraa"/"chhokrii".

7. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Great. The reason I was asking is my close friend from Hariyana uses it all the time.

You are right, I can speak (and read!) a mouthful of Gujarati and chhokraa/-ii are THE words.

8. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    ^ HaryaNRvii speech is very close to western UP's rural speech (migrant communities, including the strong community of Agrawals, from Haryana to UP), so that does give a clue from where rural western UP got its chhoraas and chhoriis from. Thanks!

9. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Thank you all.

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Some further thoughts.

I agree that "kahiiN kaa" adds emphasis but I think one can possibly interpret it in the following ways too.

gadhaa kahiiN kaa!

1) gadhaa!...nah jaane kahaaN kaa hai? lekin yahaaN kaa nahiiN! (yahaaN ke log gadhe nahiiN!)

2) jahaaN kaa bhii hai, hai to gadhaa hii!

3) jahaaN kahiiN kaa hai, vuh jagah itnii achchhii nahiiN ho saktii! (kyoNkih yih gadhaa vahaaN se hai!)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  11. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    kahiiN kaa - nah (na for Hindi) jaane kahaaN kaa

Edit: sorry, you have covered it in 1)! But your deliberations go much further!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013