1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hindi/Urdu: maddaa (माद्दा)

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by lafz_puchnevala, Mar 20, 2012.

1. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    Hi,

This seems to refer to 'subject matter', not much different from 'baat' in that context. What do you all think?

Thanks!

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    There are two similar words:

مادہ: maadah: (Farsi-derived): مؤنث جانداروں کے لیے، نر کے برعکس مستعمل۔ - muannas jaandaaroN ke liye, nar ke bar-a'ks musta'mal

مادہ: maadah: (Arabic-derived): کسی چیز کی اصل، وہ شے جس سے کوئی چیز تیار کی جائے۔ -kisi cheez ki asl, woh shae jis se ko'ii cheez tayaar ki jaa'e
    مواد، مسالا (کسی کتاب وغیرہ کے لئے) (انگریزی Material) - mawaad, masaala (kisi kitaab wagherah ke liye) (English: material)
    There are 8 definitions total...

It seems you ask of the second one!

One example out of eight: اس میں نامیاتی مرکب کی بہت تھوڑی مقدار ڈال کر پہلے آہستہ آہستہ اور پھر خوب تیزی سے گرم کرتے ہیں، یہاں تک کہ ٹیوب میں موجود مادہ گرم سرخ ہو جاتا ہے۔"
    is mein naamyaati murakkab ki bahut thoRi miqdaar Daal kar pehle aahistah aahistah aur phir khuub tezi se garm karte hain, yahaaN tak keh tube mein maujood maadah garm surkh ho jata hai (masculine)

Rather than baat, it is used like the English word material/medium, often in sciences...as the above quoted example shows.

3. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    In Hindi, the word is also used at times to indicate the nature, the property of a thing: for example, "aam ki kudrat hiii garam hai" = "aam kaa maddaa hii garam hai" (aam = mango).

4. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Yes, but تاثیر taaseer seems to be the more appropriate/used word (in Urdu at least) in this sense...

5. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    'taaseer' is the more often used and maybe more appropriate word in Hindi as well; however, 'maaddaa' is used at times with the meaning of 'taaseer' (maybe it's not a good usage?).

6. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Well, excuse me for poking my nose in others' business but I'm pretty sure the discussion went onto the wrong track. I strongly believe what was being meant by the asker was Urdu مدعا mudd3aa.

7. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    I was thinking about that as well :), but the transliteration was closer to maadah in the OP...

Edit:
    مدعا Mudd'aa
    1. مقصود، مقصد، غرض، مطلب، مراد، منشا، خواہش۔
    maqsood, maqsad, gharaz, matlab, muraad, manshaa, kh(w)aahish
    English translation:

Asserted as a claim, claimed, sued for; alleged; pretended; meant; what is claimed, or alleged, or pretended, or meant; desire, whish; suit; meaning, object, view; scope, whish; suit; meaning, object, view; scope, tenor, drift; object of search, stolen property
    I would be interested to learn of the usage of this word!
    Have heard:
    mudd'aii in legal terms...does it mean the one who has filed a law suit?
    mudd'aa as in in "humari aaj ki baHth/guftugu ka mudd'aa _________________hai"......does it mean topic and/or purpose?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    It is not the first time the transliteration in these threads requires the sixth sense.

9. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Yes, that is what muddaa means: the topic in hand. "Hamaara aaj ka muddaa maadaa hai" :D

10. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    All what is left for me is to say, enjoy!

11. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks, but it doesn't seem so from the Urdu dictionary definition: more like purpose/point/interest/meaning.....but I guess it could also hold that meaning as well;

While we're at it there is also: مداح maddaH : ta'reef/madH karne wala or often used for "fan"

12. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    mudda3aa مُدَّعا in Urdu, usually pronounced muddaa by Hindiphones and non-native Urduphones, was discussed here as well.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  13. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    How do we write 'muddaa' in Hindi?

Thanks!

14. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    Ok found it... It is written as 'मुद्दा'.

15. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    I am implying that it cannot be used to describe people.

16. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Just to clarify, there is a difference between مُدَّعا mudda3aa and ماده maaddah (!), and of course maadah: P ماده māda [Pehl. mātak; Zend mātar, nom. māta; S. mātr̤i, nom. mātā], adj. & s.f. Female;—..... I know you don't mean maadah (female)!

P مدعا muddaʻā (for A. مدّعَي muddaʻā, pass. part. of اِدّعي 'to assert, or allege (against); to claim,' &c., viii of دعو 'to ask; to pray; to desire,' &c.), part. & s.m. Asserted as a claim, claimed, sued for; alleged; pretended; meant;—what is claimed, or alleged, or pretended, or meant; desire, wish; suit; meaning, object, view; scope, tenor, drift;—object of search, stolen property:—muddaʻā bi-hi or bi-hā, adj. & s.m. Pretended to, claimed, sued for, contested;—the thing or object claimed or sued for, &c.:—muddaʻā pakaṛnā, To discover stolen property:—muddaʻā ḥāṣil karnā, To gain (one's) object:—muddaʻā-ʻalaih, One upon whom a claim is made; a defendant in a law-suit; a criminal:—muddaʻā-ʻalaih-sharīk, A co-defendant;—muddaʻā-ʻalaih karnā (-ko), To make (one) a defendant in a case, to indict, charge, arraign:—muddaʻā-ʻalaih-kī jānib (or t̤araf) se, On the part of the defendants, or for the defence:—muddaʻā yěh hai, The real object, &c. is this.

ماده mādda (for A. مادة māddat, fem.; v.n. fr. مدّ 'to extend,' &c.), s.m. Matter, material; source, root; derivation;—faculty, capacity;—a matter, affair, subject, article, clause.

It all depends what exactly you are trying to say!

17. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    So in your opinion, would greatbear's usage of "aam kaa maddaa hii garam hai" be correct?

18. mintoocnb New Member

hindi,english,urdu
    माद्दा: =प्रशंसक , or fan or follower , like a disciple would say that teacher i am your biggest maadda
    मुद्दा =जिस विषय पर बात होनी है ,agenda or topic of discussion , eg . aaj ki behas ka muddaa mehangai tha or inflation was the topic of discussion today.
    मादा = means related to feminine gender , like hen is a maada .

मद्दाह =सस्ता ,it doesnt form a part of standard dictionary but its a colloquial word which means cheap , for eg. aaj sabji bahut maddi hai or aam bahut madda hai ,means mango is very cheap today , usually the word is used by fruit and vegetable vendors.

माद्दा - हिम्मत - will and ability to do something , himalaya par chadne ke liye jigar mein maadda hona chahiye

19. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    And there is "maaddah" which in Urdu at least means "matter" (solid/liquid/gas) or "material". In fact, on second thoughts, your last entry points to this word.

Welcome to the forum! How would you like to be addressed? mintoocnb Jii, mintoocnb SaaHib or simply mintoocnb?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  20. mintoocnb New Member

hindi,english,urdu
    cnb is the code of my city kanpur , so mintoo is just fine ,​اور آپکی زرہ نوازی کے لئے بہت بہت شکریہ