Hindi, Urdu: pairavii karna

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, Jun 22, 2013.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    When someone says pairvii karnaa what meanings come to mind? Some dictionaries give the definition of "pursuit" or even "law suit". Another gives a definition of "championing" or "advocating". Can this also mean defend in some contexts?

For instance one headline states: emergency meN bhaarat kii pairvii kar rahaaa hai america.

Could one simply replace pairvii with hifaazat or rakshaa without the meaning changing?

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    The Urdu dictionary definitions of پیروی pairawi are listed below. From these, 1, 2, and 5 seem to come to mind when first hearing the word. (Note: The word is often used in a religious context as well.)

1. تقلید، کسی کے عمل کو نمونہ بنا کر ویسا ہی کام کرنے کا عمل، نقل۔
    taqleed, kisi ke 3mal ko namunah banaa kar waise hi kaam karne kaa 3mal, naql

2. اطاعت، فرمان برداری، (احکام یا اصول کا) اتباع و تعمیل۔
    itaa3at, farmaan bardaari, (aHkaam yaa usuul kaa) ittibaa3-o-ta3meel

3. کسی کام کے پیچھے دوڑ کر اسے اختتام تک پہنچانے کی کوشش اور کاروائی، خصوصاً عدالت میں اپنے یا دوسرے کے مقدمے کی دیکھ بھال یا جدوجہد۔
    kisi kaam ke peechhe dauR kar use ixtitaam tak pauhnchaane ki koshish aur kaarrawaa'ii, khusuus-an 3dalat meN apne yaa dusre ke muqdame ki dekh-bhaal yaa jid-o-jahad

4. تلاش، جستجو۔
    talaash, justujuu

5. کسی کے) نشانِ قدم پر قدم رکھنا، قدم بہ قدم چلنا۔)
    (kisi ke) nishaan-e-qadam par qadam rakhnaa, qadam bah qadam chalnaa
    Could you provide a link to the article? Is the headline from an Urdu or Hindi publication? Could it be that the author used the word incorrectly...?! rahnumaa'ii, imdaad, etc. would probably be better words to use-that is, judging only from the headline you have provided.

3. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    TS jii, to me it means to speak on someone's behalf or "championing" or "advocating" as you have mentioned. This is how I hear this word used on a day to day basis, mostly on news channels.

4. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Chhaatr SaaHib, could you provide a few examples/sample sentences of the usage that you are describing? Also, do you recognize any of the meanings listed in UE (listed/linked above)?

5. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    alfaaz SaaHib, I will have to hear the usage once again to give the sample sentences as I myself don't use this word. As far as post#2 goes, much of it is beyond me. I still need to learn more Urdu to fully comprehend it.

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    TS SaaHib, the meanings of pairavii are as mentioned by Alfaaz SaaHib above and yes most commonly it means following (in thought and / or action) or being devoted to someone; to imitate. A follower is a پیرو pairau (= pairavii karne waalaa).

To me the headline you mentioned (emergency meN bhaarat kii pairvii kar rahaaa hai america) would in this instance and this context mean something like: America is imitating / following India in the emergency(!?)

This doesn't carry the sense that might have been originally intended and in fact indicates the US has a subservient role!

Given the original Urdu usage of pairavii I wouldn't use it here to mean championing / advocating because pairavii really implies that you follow the lead provided by someone else.

With this in mind, I don't think you can substitute HifaaZat or rakshaa without changing the meaning because these latter terms point to a lead role (of protection) rather something subservient as would be indicated by pairavii .

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  7. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Then please allow me to explain this to you from an Urdu perspective.

The word is made of two segments "pai" and "ravii"

"ravii" comes from the Persian verb "raftan" (jaanaa). You no doubt would be familiar with "aamad-o-raft" which is short for "aamadan-o-raftan"..aanaa aur jaanaa...taffic. The present root of the raftan verb is "rau" (as in barqii-rau...electric current) but when something is added to "rau" (e.g the suffix -ii) it changes to "ravii". This ravii means chalnaa.

pai = paa = qadam = pair = foot

pai-ravii karnaa = (kisii ke) naqsh-i-qadam chalnaa. This is the base meaning.

8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Alfaaz SaaHib, this meaning and usage is very current and common. As TS has said, it is equivalent to ''pursuit a law-suit'' or any other matter.

There is also pairau-kaar which is used in the meaning of legal proceedings, the one who pursuits a case from a specific perspective, like sarkaarii pairau-kaar=attorney for the government/public prosecutor.

9. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Here is the sense it is being used in currently in the Hindi media:

लिव-इन संबंधों की पैरवी करते हुए बॉलीवुड की बिंदास अभिनेत्री नेहा धूपिया ने कहा कि इन रिश्तों में कुछ भी गलत नहीं है, क्योंकि ये महिला-पुरुष की आपसी सहमति से बनते हैं।
    live-in sambandhoN kii pairavii karte hue bollywood kii bindaas abhinetrii dhuupiyaa ne kahaa ki in rishtoN meN kuCH bhii galat nahiiN hai, kyoNki ye mahilaa purush kii aapsii sahamati se bante haiN (defending live-in relationships, actress Neha Dhupia said that there is nothing wrong with these relationships because they are products of a mutual agreement between a man and a woman)

आतंकवाद की पैरवी मत करो
    aatankvaad kii pairavii mat karo (don't defend terrorism)

उन्होंने केवल निर्दोषों की पैरवी की

unhoNne keval nirdoshoN kii pairavii kii (he only defended the innocent)

बालक के हत्यारे की पैरवी नहीं करेंगे अधिवक्ता
    baalak ke hatyaare kii pairavii nahiiN kareNge adhivaktaa (lawyers will not defend the child's killer)

बच्चों की पत्रिका में समलैंगिकता की पैरवी
    bachchoN kii patrikaa meN samlaingiktaa kii pairavii (defense (advocacy) of homosexuality in a child's magazine)

सुरेंद्र ही केस की पैरवी कर रहे थे
    surendra hii kes kii pairavii kar rahe the (only surendra was defending the case)

In my opinion, its modern use in Hindi seems to be a cross between advocacy and legal defense.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  10. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    I think Chaturvedi defines the Hindi usage well.

पैरवी pairvi: (nf) advocacy, pleading, championing; ~कार an advocate, a pleader; champion; —करना, (किसी की) to advocate; to champion (the cause of).

I wonder how the semantic difference arose for this word between Urdu and Hindi.

11. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    This is one of many examples I know where the original Urdu meaning (as for پیروی pairavii, which has been used since 1609 when the word was first recorded in a written form in Urdu) has acquired a different usage in Modern Hindi. All this is post-independence, so very recent! One can of course speculate as to how this came about but I'd rather leave it at that.

12. gagun Senior Member

TS,india
    Telugu-TS, Deccani-TS
    meanings of this word are
    pairavii(origin-farsi)=following/pursuit, effort, stick up/stand up for(for a party or a side), obeying or executing orders
    but it is widely used in telugu as పైరవీ/पैरवी/ﭘﹷﻴﺮﻭﹺﯼ for the English word lobbying.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013