Hindi/Urdu - pangaa

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, Feb 21, 2013.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Is pangaa meaning fight/quarrel/trouble considered a slang word? Is it also used in Urdu?
    Would you happen to know its origins?

Platts lists pangaa as H پنگا पंगा paṅgā, vulg. pingā [S. पान or पानीय+कः], adj. (f. -ī), Watery, thin, weak; delicate, tender.

Is this usage now archaic?

2. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    Yes, used in Urdu too (at least Karachi slang). It's not exactly fight/quarrel by itself, but an intrusion/challenge/quarrel that is considered totally uncalled for, provocative, and unjustified.

The verb is [X se] paNgaa lenaa.

I'm not familiar with the second usage you listed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    A couple of dictionaries I consulted give the meaning of "paNGaa" as a person with crooked feet.

paNgaa lenaa = to look for trouble/to mess with someone

aap mujh se paNgaa to le rahe haiN lekin yaad rakhiye gaa, bahut pachhtaa'eN ge aap!

In Punjabi, we also have "paNgaa laiNRaa" and there is an "emphatic" form too, which, as you might imagine, is on the rude side. "buND paNgaa laiNRaa"!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    I have seen one or two dictionaries that define it as crippled but that seems to be archaic these days. I have only ever seen langRaa.

However, I can't help but wonder if this is related to panjaa (claw, talon).

P پنجه panja (rel. n. from panj, q.v.), s.m. An aggregate of five; the five of a suit of cards, or the five on a die; a cast or turn up of five with dice;—the hand with the fingers extended; claw, paw (of a tiger, &c.); clutch, grasp, possession, power; the five-fingered instrument of the religious mendicant; a sort of link or torch resembling the five fingers, or having five branches (=panj-shāḵẖa); a hand made of ivory (to scratch the back with); the fore part of a foot or shoe;—cinq-foil:—panja-phernā (-), To twist or turn round the hand of an adversary by interlocking fingers with him; (fig.) to overcome, overpower:—panja karnā (-se), To interlock fingers with an adversary and endeavour to twist his hand or wrist:—panja-kash, s.m. An iron instrument resembling a hand with which wrestlers exercise themselves by locking their fingers into those of the instrument;—a kind of bread bearing the marks of five fingers:—panja laṛānā (-se) = panja karnā, q.v.:—panja le-jāna (-se), To overcome an antagonist by twisting his hand or wrist, &c. (=panja phernā); to carry off the palm:—panjoṅ-ke bal ćalnā, v.n. To walk on tip-toe; to walk on stilts, to strut:—panja mārnā, v.t. To claw; to snap or snatch at;—panja-i-maryam, s.f. A grass resembling a pair of claws interlocked:—panje-meṅ lānā, v.t. To get hold of, get into one's clutches; to bring under subjection:—panje-wār, adj. Famished, very wretched.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013