Hindi/Urdu/Punjabi: various types of stoves

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by lcfatima, Apr 11, 2013.

1. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    What are terms people use for the various types of stoves or cooking ranges used in the regions where the above mentioned languages are spoken. Rural to urban, traditional stoves or more modern ones, etc.

2. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I am not that good in matters related to kitchen and can't detail the differences, but "chuulhaa", "sagRii" and "barNRii" are the most common words used in Hindi for a stove, besides the English words "stove" or "gas stove".

3. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    Hmmm, I have heard sigRii but not sagRii. Thanks for your input.

The difference between chulhaa and stove always confused me. For me the stove is the whole thing and the chulhaa is the part where the flames come out, just going from the way I would conceptualize it in English. But I think you can call a sigRii/sagRii or village mud brick stove "chulhaa" for the whole thing, right?

Greatbear, do you recall people ever using an acronym (for English words) for those portable/small sized gas fueled cooking ranges that are common in middle class urban homes?

4. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    For my part, aNgiiThii would be the first choice, at least for Urdu. I'm not sure whether this noun is used in Hindi. chuulhaa being of course the generic term.

5. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I don't recall any acronym, lcfatima; maybe you mean the LPG cylinders, which supply fuel to the stove?

@marrish: aNgiiThii is certainly used in Hindi as well, especially when the stove is not the modern stainless steel one. It's more used for those little, portable stoves fuelled by kerosene that migrant labourers use. Both it and "chuulhaa" are generic: the latter is used more for the modern steel ones. And of course for those traditional mud brick stoves, where one has to "phooNk" the chulhaa.

6. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^I am not familiar with the realities of India, but aNgiiThii is or was certainly not fueled by kerosine oil. I can imagine that kerosine can be used to facilitate the ignition however the kerosine appliance would be invariably ''stove'' or ''chuulhaa''. I am also not sure whether those are still used. I am also not familiar with migrant workers phenomenon. As far as my memory reaches, aNgiiThii or such ''chuulhaa''s were used by ''migrant proselytizing groups'', known otherwise in Urdu as ''tabliiGhii jamaa3ateN''. Mud brick stoves, could you both explain what you mean? Are they found in India or Pakistan or both? I know only clay chuulhe.

7. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    There is also, especially used in Kashmir and Afghanistan (and apparently throughout the Himalayan region), the bukhaarii a winter favorite (uses wood or kerosene). And its minitaturized and portable form, the kaa.ngRii (only to be found in Kashmir under your feraan).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  8. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^ Thank you for bringing in "buxaarii" and "kaaNgRii" into the discussion. "buxaarii" is originally a fireplace in a wall (aatish-daan). As for "kaaNgRii", I remember seeing an Urdu novel in our local library with the title, "suukhii kaaNgRii kaa dhu'aaN". Until then I had not come across this word. My dictionary gives its definition as "miTTii kii aNgiiThii jise aksar kashmiirii gale meN laTkaa'e rahte haiN".

The following is a line from Sa'dat Hassan Manto's short story "dhu'aaN".

"maaN baavarchii-xaane meN saalan pakaa rahii thii aur baRii bahin kalsuum paas hii ek kaaNgRii liye darbaarii kii sargam yaad kar rahii thii."

In Punjabi, the generic cooker is of course "chullhaa". An "aNgiiThii" is made of clay and it is essentially a portable "heater". One can light a fire in it (using wood or dung cakes) or one transfers the "aNgaare" from a "chullhaa" into the aNgiiThii and people can sit around it to warm themselves or it can be placed close to or under one's bed to warm the "bistar". For interested parties, here is an Urdu poem with the title "aNgiiThii" written by Josh Maleehabadi.

https://groups.google.com/group/alt...b147ea71?lnk=gst&q=aNgiiThii#5aceacdeb147ea71

I should also add that in the Punjab, a slow smoldering fire is lit in an "aNgiiThii" to heat a largish quantity of milk over a period of time. A bit of lassii is added to this milk when it is cooled down and left over night. This becomes "yoghurt" which is churned to make butter and lassii.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013