Hindi/Urdu: vaise to

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, Feb 2, 2013.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    I am having a severely difficult time trying to understand the various circustances in which "vaise to" is used and
    what exactly it means.

My dictionary gives at least 4-5 different meanings.
  2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Let me provide you with one example of its usage..

vaise to aap bure insaan nahiiN lekiN kabhii kabhii aap par bahut Ghussah aataa hai!:)
  3. rc2 Member

India - Telugu
    I'm curious to see the 4-5 meanings listed, Tony-saahib. I've most often used and heard it used just as QP saahib said, for the equivalent of "generally, under normal circumstances, as a whole" as evident from his example.

4. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole

on the whole, altogether, in fact, (= vaise) in other respects, otherwise
    example given is: vaise to vah sachchaa bantaa hai, lekin...

waise-to, adv. In other respects, otherwise; generally speaking; altogether:

by the way, by the by, incidentally

Interesting to note is the "taa" form is already the general form, so the only reason to use "vaise to" is to indicate some uncertaintly or deviation from the general rule, at least that's how it seems to me.
  5. greatbear Banned

India - Hindi & English
    Except for "in other respects, otherwise", all other meanings above of "vaise to" are fine.
  6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    One must n't forget yuuN to" in this context. (Note the play on "junuuN" and the character "MajnuuN")

xauf ham ko nahiiN junuuN se kuchh
    yuuN to MajnuuN ke bhii chachaa haiN ham

Miir​ (1723-1810)

ash3aar mire yuuN to zamaane ke liye haiN
    kuchh shi3r faqat unko sunaane ke liye haiN

My poetry, although it is for all and sundry
    Yet there are lines meant for her ears only

(Jan Nisar Akhtar- 1914-1976-Javed Akhtar's father)
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    [Urdu] My standpoint is different, I recognize the meaning "in other respects, otherwise", (and all other meanings) like in a sample sentence:

افسوس کہ بات اکثر لڑائی جھگڑے تک آ پہنچتی ہے پر ویسے تو اُمید ہے اُن جھگڑوں کا قارئین کرام کو فائدہ ہی پہنچتا ہے۔

afsos kih baat aksar laRaa'ii-jhagRe tak aa pahuNchtii hai par vaise to umed hai un jhagRoN kaa qaari'iin-e-kiraam ko faa'idah hii pahuNchtaa hai.
  8. greatbear Banned

India - Hindi & English
    ^ I would much rather use "haalaaNki" or "par jo bhii kuchh" instead of "par vaise to" as far as Hindi is concerned in your example sentence.