Hindi/Urdu: Watch your back

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, Feb 1, 2013.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Does the phrase "watch your back" have an equivalent in H/U? Example: "That place is full of thugs, you should watch your back."

2. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    The most common is a non-figurative expression, "sambhal ke". There is also "chaukannaa ho ke" (to be on alert) or "chaaro[N] taraf aaNkheN rakh/gaRha/lagaa ke".

3. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    I like the chaukannaa one... the actual meaning of which being something like 'being four-eyed'.

chaukas raho can be used with the same meaning. I however don't know the exact difference with chaukannaa.

In a more Urdu register, I'd suggest muhtaat raho (mu76aa6): محتاط رہو

Yet I think there must be a more visual/graphic/expressive idiomatic expression closer to 'watch your back'....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    The idea is basically (Urdu) اپنی حفاظت کا خیال رکھئے گا / آپ کو اپنی حفاظت کا خیال رکھنا چاہئے apnii Hifaazat kaa xayaal rakhi'e gaa/aap ko apnii Hifaazat kaa xayaal rakhnaa chaahi'e.
    Both چوکنا chaukanna and چوکس chaukas are second to none, chaukas fitting the bill better here, I think. I too thought of chaukas when I read this thread.
    What about chaukannaa meaning 'having ears at four sides' instead :)?

aap chaukas/chaukanne rahiye, yih jagah ThagoN se bharii hu'ii hai! (thug - Thag - a borrowing into English)
    Be on your watch...

muHtaat honaa/rahnaa-
    very good too, and iHtiyaat karnaa, to be cautious. Also xabar-daar rahnaa.

There seems to be a math typo too ''mu76aa6'' --->mu7taa6:)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  5. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    Of course, it's ears, I don't know why I wrote eyes!!! Thanks for the corrections; marrish saahab.

6. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    "Bach ke rehnaa"?

7. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    jagte raho?

8. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Rather, 'jaagte raho'. But that is more used when the implicit accusation is that one is likely to sleep (e.g., when a society has just got rid itself of a social evil but likely to relapse).