1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hindi/Urdu: Why no oblique for birhaa?

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by lcfatima, Jan 29, 2013.

1. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    I have seen/heard the word birhaa (separation) in film and songs, usually as birhaa ki raat. Why doesn't it become birhay ki raat?

I see in Platts that birhaa has older forms as biraha and virahat as well as colloquial birah. Do these forms have something to do with it?

2. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    The Sanskrit form is virah and you listed birah as colloquial. Those would never change in the oblique. I'm not suprised this is the case them.

3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    For the same reason that words like daadaa, naanaa, raajaa, daryaa and saHraa etc don't decline. "birhaa" falls in this category of masculine nouns ending in -aa but do not decline. I am sorry I did n't quite follow your second question.

4. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    The Hindi form is also "virah", meaning separation (between lovers, usually), pangs of separation. "Biraha" is a form that is more often used in songs and in certain regions, but "virah" is also used a lot in speech (pron. mostly as "viraih[a]"). Here's Platts on "virah".

5. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    Generally true. But I have heard "nane abbaa" on occasion.

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    We may revert back to our oft-repeated stances but grammatically speaking I would suggest this is wrong.