Hindi: wicked games

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by jacopoiz, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jacopoiz New Member

I really need a hindi translation for "wicked games",
    online translators provide the following:
    "दुष्ट खेल"

Is it correct?

Thank you very much!;)
  2. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Sounds like an ok literal translation to me. But I should warn you that because of the way Hindi is, as a stand-alone phrase there is no way to distinguish singular 'game' from plural 'games.'
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    By "wicked", do you mean "evil" or "great"?
  4. greatbear Banned

India - Hindi & English
    I would propose "kambakht khel" (कम्बख़्त खेल) rather. It has the necessary ambiguity that the English "wicked" has.
  5. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    That might make it mean the "wretched games". How about "zabardast khel" for awesome or great or earth-shaking games. Or dushT khel or kamiine khel for evil games. tirchhe khel for crooked or deceptive games. dhaaNsu khel would also mean amazing games in a more slangy way. Haraami khel (warning: will be perceived as vulgar, avoid in mixed company) for "bastardly games" if you meant dishonest or scummy by wicked.
  6. greatbear Banned

India - Hindi & English
    I don't agree, as "zabardast" can never map to "wicked": a good translation should retain as much nuance of the source as possible. I don't mind "kamiine", but that is also a swear word: so I wouldn't go for it, unless the target audience/readership is fine with swear-words. Given a choice, I could go on with even more choices: "khatarnaak khel", "khunnas khel", "makkaar khel", etc. - but the original wording is "wicked", and in the wording of the original language, "dangerous games", "amazing games", "cunning games", "awesome games", etc., do exist - so it's not a question of one term in that language for all our khatarnaak, dhaaNsu, makkaar, zabardast.

"Wretched" is merely one of the meanings of kambakht; after all, in the film title "Kambakht Ishq", it hardly means "wretched love", does it? "kambakht" can also mean "dushT", wicked.
  7. hindiurdu Senior Member

Actually afaik "kambakht ishq" *does* exactly mean "wretched love". Kambakht ishq ne kya-kya na karaayaa means "what didn't wretched love make me do?" Older western HU speakers and Punjabis also use nekbakht as the opposite, usually used by men for their wives, sort of the equivalent of "bhaagyavaan", which has also faded for the younger generation.

"Zabardast" means powerful, awesome. So, "dude, that was a wicked shot you played" can be translated accurately to "yaar, kyaa zabardast shot khelaa / maaraa hai."
  8. greatbear Banned

India - Hindi & English
    And not "kambakht shot"? I would go for that ("shaaNRe/oye, kyaa kambakht shauT maaraa hai!"). "zabardast shot" is like stating the obvious, takes the whole punch out (of the line and of the shot). A wicked/kambakht shot is an audacious Pietersen switch hit - it is more than zabardast; a zabardast shot is some sweet cover drive.
  9. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hmmm .... I wouldn't use it like that but I see what you are saying. Like saying "that was one bastard of a shot" (pardon my language). I concede the possibility though maybe you could post yt video examples of such usage on this thread at some point in the future (hard to find, I know, but in case you run into them). I have trouble imagining usage where you hold something dear and fate has a role to play. "Kal zabardast game khelnaa" is okay "Kal kambakht game khelnaa" sounds totally wrong to me, unless you're wishing evil on someone (even then it seems like poor usage).
  10. greatbear Banned

India - Hindi & English
    It does to me as well, but then so does "play a wicked game tomorrow". Plurals make all the difference, though! "Wicked games" is good, and for me so is "kambakht khel". If I come across anything on YT or any other medium, I would surely provide a link here.
  11. kaushalsingh

kaushalsingh New Member

Right now i am really clueless about its proper translation but as you have suggested it,would mean something evil, It is like saying evil games and i think what you mean by wicked here is rough games???? Isn't it?
  12. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    I agree that zabardast is an appropriate translation of "awesome" or "cool" for the younger generation. I have heard this before, but from a Pakistani. Not sure if this makes a difference here.

I am assuming that jacopoiz means wicked in the literal negative sense. If he had said "wicked game" it would have been more ambiguous. But wicked games (plural) sounds to me like "dushT chaaleN".
  13. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, tonyspeed, this is a classic example of not having provided any context or explanation by the original poster so that we go in circles.