Hindi: word order

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by HanKat, Feb 11, 2013.

1. HanKat New Member

French
    Hi, I'm a beginner in Hindi and I would like to know which of these translations is the correct one for: "Does Ram like this place?"

Is it: Kyaa yah jagah Raam ko pasand hai?

or: Kyaa Raam ko yah jagah pasand hai?

How does the word order work in this case?
    Thank you.

2. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Bienvenue, Hankat! Welcome to the forum!

Both of your sentence orders are fine: unlike English and French, Hindi does not have a rigid work order. As long as you put "ko" in your example sentence with "Raam", the meaning of the sentence cannot change, wherever you place "Raam ko".
    Egalement, you could have the following, too:
    "Raam ko kyaa yeh jagah pasand hai?"; "Kyaa hai yeh jagah pasand hai (bhii) Ram ko?", etc.

What does change with the word order is what you're stressing on and thus what is the intended effect of your sentence: satire? mere question? lyrical? and so on. Your first question is about "jagah" (place): does Ram like this place or not? In the second question, the effect is as if: does Raam like this place, first of all, let's leave Lakshman out of it for the time being? As if the focus is on Raam and not "jagah".

I hope the explanation was clear to you.

3. HanKat New Member

French
    Merci! The explanation was pretty clear!

Can I ask you another question? It's about the "mujhko" constructions. For example, if I want to say "I want to write something"...

Is it: "Mujhko kuch likhnaa caahie"

or: "Main kuch likhnaa caahtaa hu"

or are they both correct?
    Thank you.

4. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Your first sentence, HanKat, means "I should write something" - it doesn't mean "I want to write something" (Je dois/devrais écrire quelque chose). The sentence is otherwise correct. The second sentence does say "I want to write something" (Je veux/voudrais écrire quelque chose) (from a man's perspective; if a woman were to say this thing, it would be "chaahtii hooN").

Hope this helps! Meanwhile, please post unrelated questions in different threads in future, au quitte de running foul of some moderator's guidelines :)

5. HanKat New Member

French
    Ok, je le ferai! Merci beaucoup! :)