1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

hippie sign with the three lines [peace sign / symbol]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by susanna76, Oct 3, 2009.

1. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    How do you refer to the hippie sign shaped like a circle with one vertical line and two oblique lines?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. WestSideGal

WestSideGal Senior Member

English, US
    That is called a "peace" sign.

3. sundreez Senior Member

Are you referring to the peace sign?

4. Bookmom

Bookmom Senior Member

Also widely referred to as the peace symbol.

5. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Great! That's the one!

6. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Note that although the subculture we called "hippies" back in the 1960s used the symbol extensively, it was used by many non-hippy anti-war people.

7. sundreez Senior Member

It was originally the symbol of a nuclear disarmament group in Britain (1958).

8. Bookmom

Bookmom Senior Member

I'm thinking about the difference between the peace sign and the peace symbol, as in: He flashed me the peace sign and he drove away in his V W bus decorated in rainbow colored peace symbols. (Now that I think about it, WR should have a smiley face peace symbol icon!);)

9. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    It is not a "hippie sign".

10. Hitchhiker Senior Member

Washington DC USA
    English-US
    Hippie signs that I've seen say, "Hippies use back door". When I was growing up the symbol was called an "anti-war symbol". Sometimes it includes the word "peace". The "peace sign" is the hand sign with two fingers.

11. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Interesting comments.

In the UK, I think the symbol would be specifically associated with the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament; it would not, I think, be referred to as a "peace symbol". Not would it be connected with hippies....

Oh, and the hand sign with two fingers has a different meaning in the UK. Depending on which way round it is, of course.

12. Hitchhiker Senior Member

Washington DC USA
    English-US
    Originally the peace sign was with the two fingers pressed together, not spread apart. Spreading the fingers apart makes it easier to see that there are two fingers instead of a single a finger gesture.

13. Cagey non modo mod

California
    English - US
    In the US it is commonly called the "peace sign", but I also knew it as the Aldermaston [peace] sign, when it first became popular in the US. Later, it came to be associated not only with nuclear disarmament, but also with the movement against the war in Vietnam.

I suspect that the association with "hippies" grew out of the fact that many hippies were also opposed to war in general and that war in particular, and so took up the symbol as a decorative element in clothes and banners.

14. Bookmom

Bookmom Senior Member

It has been very interesting to read about the origins of what I have always know as the peace symbol. No matter what the original meaning or origins of the symbol, I think you would be hard pressed to argue that it's entry into the worldwide lexicon had not occured in conjunciton with the hip generation ie hippies. I am a proud former hippie and I would absolutely claim it as such. It was recognizable to everyone who posted on this thread as a hippie sign. Peace up man, keep on truckin';)

15. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Thank you all for the interesting comments!

16. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Just in case anyone's totally baffled by all this, here's the symbol in question:)

17. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    We called it, in the sixties, the Ban the Bomb symbol.
    It´s design was based on the navy code of semaphore, the flag signals for N and D which stood for Nuclear Disarmament.