1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

history of this site

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by metis, Jul 23, 2006.

1. metis

metis Junior Member

venice
    italian italy
    Hi everyone!:) 'cause I am new in this site and I have been visiting it for few days, I'd like to know if there is a thread about the history of this site: when it was born, who made it and so on. I noticed, for example, that thera are people inscripted 3 years ago (or it seems so, if I understood correctly the profiles) that have already written thousands of posts! amazing wordreference-aholic:D I'd like to know more and more languages... anyhow, can anybody help me in this search? giulio\metis
    p.s. I hope I wrote the thread in the right section of the site:confused:

2. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Hello,

The forum was opened 2 years ago. Here's a birthday thread (still active) and here's the first one.

Jana

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
  4. moura

moura Senior Member

Lisbon
    Portuguese Portugal
    Hi

I also have some curiosity to know how the origin of WorReference.com. I read in some thread that this is done by Mike Kellog, naturally with the help of the Mods, but has it some company structure? Is there some site with the "history" and "mission"?
    Sometimes I think of it, since I found all this Forum tremendously fantastic and even unique.
    I've learn a lot, in English, Portuguese and also all kinds of human, social, cultural, political, etc. issues, since I'm connected.

5. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Our mission is here. We do not have a specific page dedicated to the forum history as far as I am aware. Some insight can be gleaned from threads here in Comments and Suggestions. Here's an archive of threads. Some are purely technical but in many of them document the forum milestones.

The WR dictionaries are a business, the forums are not. All moderators are unpaid volunteers.

Jana

6. moura

moura Senior Member

Lisbon
    Portuguese Portugal
    Thank you Jana. But all did all this started? An idea of Mike?

7. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Probably, but I came half a year later. ;)

Jana

8. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    How did you all become Mod's?

9. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Hi panjabigator,

This question comes up from time to time. THIS link should provide you with the answer you seek.

10. xarruc Senior Member

Barcelona
    England
    It interesting that so few of those original people have many threads. Do you have data regarding turnover of users. It would be interesting to know how long people in general stay around for. Of course if its comercially confidential...

11. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Click. Almost exactly one half of our members have posted just once or not at all.

12. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    This may seem difficult to believe, but in the first few months of the forum's operation, twenty to forty members on line at the same time seemed like a busy day. Of the members who were most active then, most remain members, and continue to participate today.