hit one out of the park

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by BenjaminMond, Nov 1, 2008.

1. BenjaminMond Junior Member

Argentina
    Spanish-English
    hola! alguien sabe qué significa la expresión? es lenguaje coloquial.

gracias!!

2. JJohnson

JJohnson Senior Member

Southwest Texas
    Texan English
    He hit a home run. Over the fence, beyond the reach of the outfielders. A baseball reference.

3. BenjaminMond Junior Member

Argentina
    Spanish-English
    thank you! but I don't know much of baseball, so I can't understand the meaning of the expression... :(

4. Gavroche Senior Member

America
    USA, English
    It's used to denote when someone really succeeds spectacularly at something.
    Used to denote great success or victory, but often referring to a specific action or event.

An example: "That speach was unbelievable. He really hit it out of the park."

A woman to her man after making love: "Honey, you really hit it out of the park that time." Meaning he really did a good job, really satisfied her.

I hope that helps,

John

5. Gavroche Senior Member

America
    USA, English
    An addendum: Benjaminmond, your profile says you're British. So people in Britain never use the above expression?

By the way, it's quite common in North America.

- John

6. BenjaminMond Junior Member

Argentina
    Spanish-English
    I'm sorry. I've made a mistake. I'm just an argentinian student, and we are learning british accent in phonetics, that is why I wrote that... Can I change it? please, if you know, tell me how! I'm new at forums!

7. JJohnson

JJohnson Senior Member

Southwest Texas
    Texan English
    Go to your profile and change it--
    Native Language: your mother tongue

8. BenjaminMond Junior Member

Argentina
    Spanish-English
    thank you! I've changed my profile now, I'm sorry!