1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

hoist (flag, sail, etc.)

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Gavril, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    In some languages, there is a specific term for raising something to the top of a mast or flagpole:

- English hoist (e.g., hoist the sails, hoist the flag)
    - Spanish izar (used for flags and sails, like Eng. hoist)
    - French hisser
    - German hissen

On the other hand, Finnish (as far as I know -- native speakers can correct me) seems to use nostaa, the general word for "raise, lift", in these contexts: thus, nostaa purje means "hoist a sail" and nostaa lippu means "hoist a flag".

What other languages have a specialized term for "hoisting"?

Happy holidays

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Turkish goes with the first four languages you mentioned. We say: hisa etmek (To render 'hisa'). This is used for ship flags (and some other small objects) only. For the ship sails, there is a different expression.

3. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    It is içar in Portuguese.

4. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

To hoist the flag: «Επαίρω την σημαία» (e'pero tin si'mea). The verb «επαίρω» is an ancient one, «ἐπαίρω» (ĕ'pǣrō) and it literally means to lift up, raise. In Modern Greek is used only in relation to the flag (not used for describing the hoisting of the ship's sail at all). It's a compound word, prefix and preposition «ἐπὶ» (ĕ'pĭ)--> upon, at, close upon, on the occasion of, in addition + verb «αἴρω» ('ǣrō)--> to raise up, lift (with obscure etymology).
    The flag hoisting ceremony is «έπαρσις της σημαίας» ('eparsis tis si'meas).
    So, add Greek amongst the languages that use a specific term for raising a flag to the top of a mast or flagpole.
    For the lifting up of sail we use the verb «σηκώνω» (si'kono), the generic verb for lifting up, raising anything. In Jack Speak (i.e. Navy Slang) the verb used is «βιράρω» (vi'raro) and is applied to ships alone, a Venetian loan word: Virar --> to raise, lift. The Ancient Greeks for hoisting/raising sail on the other hand, used the verbs «αἴρω» (see above) and «πετάννυμι» (pĕ'tānnūmĭ)--> to be spread on all sides, flutter (PIE base *pet-/*petǝ-, to open arms).

5. mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: Itaas/ Iwagayway

6. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Also hastear (used for flags, but not for sails), from haste, flagpole, stem.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Hijsen is most common in Dutch, but there is more one can hijsen than flags, but it is the most common combination, I think ! (We can also hijsen beers, but that is irony of course ;-)....)

8. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    magyar felvon [fel up, above + von hoist], felvonó [lift, elevator]