Hola Mi Amor Como Estas?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Hege, May 25, 2006.

1. Hege Junior Member

Norway
    Norway, Norwegian
    Hola a todos :)
    I received an e-mail this morning from my friend in Italy (He is from Argentina), and I was wondering if someone could translate it properly to me? He doesn´t write with accents over the letters, so it is not always easy to translate it properly for me, because I am just starting to learn spanish, and I do not always know which letters to put the accent over to get it all right :)
    He wrote:
    HOLA MI AMOR COMO ESTAS? (This one I understand)
    YO AQUI EN CASA ...NO PUEDO DORMIR... (And this one)
    POR ESO PENSE EN VOS PARA ESCRIBIRTE...(A little confused about this one)
    NOSE QUE ME PASA PERO ME SIENTO MUY TRISTE...ME GUSTARIA MUCHO HABLAR CON ALGUIEN,PERO DESGRACIADAMENTE NO TENGO A NADIE AL LADO MIO...(I understand most of this one too, but would like the whole context).
    ME HUBIESE GUSTADO MUCHO HABLAR CON VOS...(This one I understand as well).
    BUENO VOY A TRATAR DE DORMIR...(And this one..)
    BUENAS NOCHES...(And this one :) )
    TE QUIERO MUCHO... (But this one kinda made my heart jump.. does he mean he likes me? Or loves me? What is most common to say in Argentina for both "I like you" and "I love you"?
    LUCIANO...

I would really appreciate your help.. I understand most of it, but I am having trouble getting the whole context of it...

Thankyou so much in advance..

Sincerely,
    Hege :)

2. lorenzzo Junior Member

barcelona
    spanish spain
    Hola,

The traslation would go as follows:

"Hi honey, how are you? ... I am at my place right now ... I can't sleep ... that's why I thought about writing you...I don't know what's wrong with me but I am very sad ... I would love to talk to someone, but saddly I don't have anyone by me ... I would have loved to talk to you ... oh well, I am gonna try to sleep ... good night ... i love you very much ... Luciano"

Regarding "te quiero mucho", I dont know in Argentina, but in Spain it means what it means, i.e., I love you very much ... Otherwise, people say I like you (when you like someone as a friend, for example) or I fancy you (when you like someone more than as a friend, but you dont love them ... yet...).

I hope i've been helpful.

Ciao!

3. Hege Junior Member

Norway
    Norway, Norwegian
    Muchas gracias Lorenzzo :) You have been very helpful :):):):):)

Hege :)

4. ygl Senior Member

Spanish and Spain
    In this sentence, he wanted to say that he felt alone and he thougth of you ("vos" means you in Argentina, it is most used than tú) and he wrote a letter to you.
    Sorry but I am not an English native and I will have mistakes
    Ygl

5. Milla Senior Member

Español - Chile
    I don't know in wich exact date this post was published, i hope i still can be helpful. (i just cameback from vacations)
    I'm from Chile and as in Argentina we say : "Te amo" as in "I love you" it is mostly reserve to lovers, couples and very close persons. And "Te quiero" is an expression of love but is not like "te amo" , but more like english people use "I love you": with friends, family, boy/girlfriends, etc. "Te quiero mucho" means more like " I appreciate you a lot" or "you're really important to me and i have feelings for you" I hope I didn't confused you, but if I did think this: he puts "hola mi amor" that is like "hi my love" and in context you can see you're very important person for this guy!! he haven't said "te amo" yet but he's on his way!!

Bye!!

6. Hege Junior Member

Norway
    Norway, Norwegian
    Hola Milla :)
    I posted this yesterday, so this was very helpful to me :)
    Muchas gracias, I was a little confused about what he meant, but now I understand more :) And I really liked what you wrote, since I am starting to get feelings for him too :)
    Have a wonderful day :)

Hege :):):)

7. Milla Senior Member

Español - Chile
    Good Hege. It is always good to help another. Hope you soon can say and hear those things instead of only write and read them ;)
    Good luck!
    Bye