1. glugore New Member

que veut dire cette expression?

Note des modérateurs : nous avons fusionné plusieurs discussions pour créer ce fil.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  2. noddy

noddy Senior Member

English Uk
    It is a very slang expression (and not a very polite one) that means "Oh my goodness". It expresses surprise essentially and should only be used in very informal contexts! Literally crap is another word for shit.
  3. icecreamsoldier

icecreamsoldier Senior Member

New Zealand English
    holy = sacré
    crap = merde

=> merde alors
    => sacré nom d'un chien etc
  4. glugore New Member

merci beaucoup, thanks!
  5. dufresne37927 Member

Soochow, China
    also "wholly shit" when people want to express the deep frustration about something happened.

it is more serious than the phrase "it sucks".

how would you guys say it in French?

6. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    "c'est la cata" ? ("cata" for "catastrophe")
  7. Santana2002 Senior Member

English, from Ireland
    Just a correction on the english spelling: I've always seen those terms written as 'Holy shit' and 'Holy crap'
  8. mirifica Senior Member

Les Lilas
    Bonjour à tous,

"On n'est pas dans la merde !" = euphémisme pour exprimer exactement l'inverse.
  9. franc 91 Senior Member

English - GB
    How about - et merde et merde et merde ?
  10. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

UK English
    As a BE speaker, I’d agree with Santana, that ‘wholly shit/crap’ rather than ‘holy’ looks to me like the kind of misspelling you might find on the internet.
    ‘Holy shit’ is in the dictionary as ‘merde alors’

ADD: And I notice that Urban Dictionary, which seems to offer definitions of almost anything, has 27 definitions of ‘holy shit’ and 10 for ‘holy crap’ but none for ‘wholly shit/crap’
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  11. franc 91 Senior Member

English - GB
    Yes I think it should be - holy shit (the word holy being used as an intensifier)
  12. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    In the context of the OP, wholly seems correct to me & not at all a mis-spelling.

Wholly is an adverb meaning something along the lines of totalement , in French. So two suggestions for dufresne37927 then ; totalement merdique ** or more common in French but far more offensive than the English (Wholly crap*) expression would be nul-à-chier***

For what it's worth, holy shit!*** is an exclaimation, along the lines of Nom de Dieu!** in French ; not to be confused with wholly crap.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  13. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    Ha ha, this is great. Because as I see it, "c'est la cata" & "on n'est pas dans la merde" translate neither "holy crap" ("Nom de Dieu !") nor "wholly crap" ("nul à chier" (very colloquial) / "complètement pourri") as far as I can see :D
    Dufresne37927, what did you have in mind exactly? Would you have an example?
  14. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

UK English
    You can say‘ Wholly crap!’ or ‘Wholly shit!’ but, as far as I know, they aren’t common expressions. ‘Holy crap’ and ‘Holy shit’ are.
    Mightn’t it, just possibly, be a spelling mistake?
  15. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    Have you ever heard (or seen written) "wholly crap" before l'Irlandais? I haven't. "It was wholly crap"...hmm perhaps.
  16. Island Thyme Senior Member

Washington, USA
    American English
    Holy shit and holy crap express surprise, amazement. As in "The Concordia captain FELL into the lifeboat? Holy shit!"

It sucks just remarks on the state of affairs, as in "The Concordia captain abandoned ship before the passengers. It sucks!"
  17. L'irlandais

Hi Pedro,
    I must confess that I have not.
    I suspect dufresne37927 would do well to avoid using this term, since it's meaning may be unclear to native speakers.
  18. L'irlandais

Interesting* that the nuance mentioned in post #12 has (alledgedly) been completely lost on 155,000 (according to Google) Americian native-speakers of English.
    *(perhaps I mean frightening)