homöopathische Dosis

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Lola Lola, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Lola Lola Senior Member

English, UK
    I'm attempted to translate an article about a car- the Ferrari FF.

I've just come across the following extract:

Ohne die homoöpathische Dosis verkaufter FF ginge der Welt keinen Deut besser, aber wir wären um eine Sensation ärmer.

I can only assume that the "homoöpathische Dosis" is metaphorically referring to the low fuel consumption of the car- if I'm correct how would you translate this into English while staying true to the metaphorical usage in the original?

I also don't understand the whole meaning of the sentence- any ideas on what exactly it's trying to say?

Hope you can help

Thanks

2. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    "Homöopathische Dosis" refers to the small number of Ferrari FF compared to other cars. Even if they consume a lot of fuel it wouldn't matter because there are so few of them.

3. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    As you see, it is not only a metaphor, but an ironic or sarcastic one.

Ohne die homoöpathische Dosis verkaufter FF ginge es (?) der Welt keinen Deut besser, aber wir wären um eine Sensation ärmer.

Can you give context for following?
    Is it positive ore negative in your context that they sold only extremely few Ferrari FF?

If the author prefers a lot of sold FF, "Homöopathische Dosis" is ironic/sarcastic.
    If the author prefers a low number it is rather neutral but the second part of the sentence is ironic.
    If the author prefers no FF (and no cars at all) the critic is in the hidden non-homeopathic part. You should concentrate on other cars (for example with fuel reduction) because the create much more pollution.

4. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    It's pretty clear to me what he wants to say.

The first part counters arguments of ecologists: The car is not very environmental friendly but only a few are being sold
    In the second part the author shows his appreciation for the car (a sensation)

5. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    It was one of my later thoughts that is is about environment.
    At first I thougts it is about marketing.
    Is there any context? Where is it from?