Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Redline2200, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Redline2200

Redline2200 Senior Member

Illinois, United States
    English - United States
    Hello all,

Does anyone know if there exists a good Latin equivalent for the English hometown? That is, a place where one grew up (not necessarily the same as place of birth, but frequently is). I have been searching many dictionaries and have come up with nothing thus far.

I know that some Romance languages don't really have a good term for this. Spanish for example has ciudad natal which is similar but literally means "birth city" and therefore isn't quite the same. I don't believe it carries the nostalgic effect of the English hometown either (although some people use la tierra donde nací - "the land where I was born" - in this way). I don't know if this means Latin in turn lacks an equivalent or if an original Latin term for this just happened to not make it's way into some of the Romance languages (I can't vouch for all as I obviously do not speak them all).

Any ideas?
  2. asanga Member

Patria "fatherland" is used in this sense, for example Ovid Tristia 4.10 (where it clearly has nostalgic effect):

Sulmo mihi patria est, gelidis uberrimus undis,

"Sulmo is my hometown, rich with cooling waters"

It survives in Sp. It. patria, Fr. patrie, but mostly in the sense of the fatherland as a whole, not the specific town where you grew up. This was also the more common meaning in Latin. When Aeneas tells Dido about Latium, "Hic amor, haec patria est", he's never even been there, so it can hardly be his hometown.
  3. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    How about "terra, ubi adolevi/adolui"?
  4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Why not "locus"?
  5. djmc Senior Member

English - United Kingdom
    Lewis and short specify Patria which would be patria terra or urbs: fatherland, native land or country, native place . . . home. It quotes a proverb patria est ubicumque est bene. It seems as good a translation as any, and carries many of the connotations of the English.