homme de terrain

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Ahpao, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Ahpao New Member

Chinese, Macao

"En homme de terrain, il refuse de polémiquer..."

Qu'est-ce que ça veut dire?

2. FAC13

FAC13 Senior Member

English, UK
    I suggest "a man of action". Does that give you enough information to have a go at translating the rest yourself?
    And it's "Un" of course, not "En", just in case that was confusing you.
  3. Ahpao New Member

Chinese, Macao
    Thanks a lot, Fac13

4. JackD Senior Member

Français, Belgique
    En homme de terrain=as a man of action
  5. FAC13

FAC13 Senior Member

English, UK
    Ah yes, thank you JackD.
  6. zam

zam Senior Member

England -french (mother tongue) & english
    It can sometimes be translated as “a hands-on man”, someone who likes to get stuck in (= mettre la main à la pâte), someone who’s very involved in their business on a practical level.

7. Canaveral Senior Member

France french
    How to translate "homme de terrain" en BE .
    The context is a CV of a manager who wants to show that he remains connected with the reality of the factory, or the reality of the market
  8. scribod

scribod Senior Member

Leeds, UK
    French, France
    I ve got "field expert" for somebody who works in situ/on site not in the office
  9. Canaveral Senior Member

France french
    Merci scribod
  10. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    My dictionary says : he is a man with a practical background but I have no idea whether this makes sense in English, so you'd better wait for confirmation from the natives.
  11. boterham Senior Member

Rijsel, France
    French, France
    Peut-être un peu tard mais j'ai récemment été confronté à la même question et finalement j'ai opté pour [...] with hands-on experience.
  12. Kelimutu

Kelimutu Senior Member

Dieulefit, Drôme
    English GB
    you can talk about a 'hands-on' manager
  13. It is never too late botherham, bear in mind that these threads are constantly revisited by many others, even years after. Reading this one was quite useful. Same goes for the many others I visited previously. Thank you . My particular reseach was to translate the following sentence: "Le député se doit d'être un homme de terrain à l'écoute des difficultés de ses administrés' and I chose to translate homme de terrain here by "man on the field". It seems to me more adequate in this context and also to be comprehensive to english speaking west indians who might not know the expression "hands-on" which appears to being more british.
  14. milkandcakes

milkandcakes Senior Member

American English
    Et le sens ici ? "Souvent lorsque des écarts trop importants apparaissent sur les prévisions, l'entreprise est tentée de ne plus accorder sa confiance aux hommes de terrain, qui se voient ainsi disqualifies par rapport à une tache qui ne leur semblait pourtant pas la moins intéressante." -du livre "Prévision des Ventes" par Régis Bourbonnais
  15. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    The meaning here is "the men that work on the field, in direct contact with the customers".
  16. franc 91 Senior Member

English - GB
    those who are out there, face to face with the customer - those whose job it is to deal directly with the customer (suggestions)
  17. Wodwo Senior Member

London UK
    UK English
    To me "man on the field" means nothing at all, other than that there's a field with a a man on it, and I'd be more likely to say he was "in" a field anyway. "Man on the field" is not an idiomatic expression in any English I have come across - although my knowledge of Caribbean idioms is limited.

Similarly you wouldn't say of people working with customers that they are "on the field". This would be said only of farmers and, again, "in" rather than "on", in BE anyway.

There are the expressions "in the field" and "on the ground", but they are more likely to be used of social workers or soldiers.

It sounds like an "homme de terrain" is a "down-to-earth", "practical" kind of person. You could say he's working "at the coal face" or "getting his hands dirty", or that he's "dealing directly with customers", "coming face to face with customers every day"... the permutations are endless. But I would keep "fields" well out of it.
  18. catay Senior Member

Canada anglais
    "a veteran field man"
  19. petit1 Senior Member

français - France
    As it is a political man, it means that he is a local person and knows perfectly the place and the people who live there. He is not always behind his desk.

an exprerienced man
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013