Honey Bunny.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by uruguacha, Dec 12, 2006.

1. uruguacha Senior Member

New York City.
    spanish, usa
    Hello everyone: I'm curious about this expresion "honey bunny". I'm not sure it is romantic, bizarre or what?

I heard in the movie "Natural Born Killers" for first time, but now I'm specially curious.

I think is a kind of american idiom, that is way just an american speaker can explain to me the meaning of this expresion.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I think of it as a cute diminutive pet name, suitable for a six-year-old girl. I wouldn't object if my husband called me that, but I might roll my eyes a little...:rolleyes:
    I don't suppose that's the context in a film titled Natural Born Killers, but I haven't seen it.

3. uruguacha Senior Member

New York City.
    spanish, usa
    Then is something sweet?

4. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    Yes, it is so sweet it makes me want to be sick.

People do say it quite a lot, so other people do not have the same reaction. There is a shorter version 'honey-bun' Yuk!

5. uruguacha Senior Member

New York City.
    spanish, usa
    Nice!

Thank you!!

6. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    I find it to be so saccarin sweet as to be cloying. It's right up there with "sweet cheeks" and "lovey pie" on my list of expressions that are tooooo cutesy to use. In "Natural Born Killers," however, it serves as a contrast between what the two "lovers" are doing and what they are saying, so it actually works.

7. ruru2006 Senior Member

New York City
    spanish

"it's so sweet, it makes me sick.
    I don't think it would make me want to be sick.

8. SaritaMija

SaritaMija Senior Member

Minnesota, USA
    English-United States
    I feel like when people say this it is usually playfully sarcastic. No one actually uses this as a pet name.

9. monachina Senior Member

Seattle
    English USA
    Um-m, I'm sorry so many of you are so easily sickened. I hear Honey Buns often and I manage to keep my stomach on an even keel. Perhaps it's just what you're used to. I'd rather have someone saying SWEET things to me, than nasty ones. So, give me honey buns any day :)
    Yours Truly,
    Sweet Baboo

10. jdenson

jdenson Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    USA / English
    Maybe they don't in Minnesota, but they sure do in Texas. Also, sugar, sweetie, hun, darling, cupcake, doll, dearie, etc., and they're not at all sarcastic.
    JD

11. dificilima Junior Member

Tucson, Arizona
    A language I no longer speak...
    Right up there with sugar pie, pumpkin, sweetie pie, cupcake and other things sacharin. They're more commonly used in certain parts of the country than others. It takes a certain type of person to carry them off. Coming from a stranger, I would find it forward and bordering on insulting.

12. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I guess that our reaction to this expression, like many others, depends on personal experience. Clearly some have painful memories of honey bunny or honey-bun.

I, like Kelly B, think of it in association with a small girl who is happy to be called honey-bun from time to time - along with many other terms of affection. Take the age-group up several decades and I might be less enthusiastic.

13. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    Back in the Dark Ages, there was a musical "South Pacific".

A line from one of the songs:
    A hundred and one pounds of fun, that's my little honey bun, get a load of honey bun to-night.

14. lxmcpeters New Member

Alaskan Indian
    I don't know about any of you, but "honey bunny" is a very dear term to me. When I was younger, my loving grandmother ( we called her Nona) in Italian, used this term with all of us grandkids. Everytime I hear it, it brings back vivid memories of so long ago. It brings a smile to my face.

One persons experience is not the same as another. This word is not in the same inferior class as say " baby cakes, etc. " but rather along the lines of "sweetheart".

15. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    I agree that using the term to or for a child can be charming and endearing. However, in the film, "Natural Born Killers," you have 2 young adult psychopaths using this term with each other before and after killing their victims (including the parents of the female killer). In the context of the film, the term is incongruous and hideous! No one is less a "honey bunny" than these two.

16. mplsray Senior Member

I expect that the endearment honey was elaborated to honey-bun under the influence of the pastry name (see here) and that was still later elaborated (with less logic, it seems to me) to honey bunny.

17. Fiddleydog New Member

English
    Americans may affectionately call each other by the name of tiny furry cute creatures and also may call each other names of sweetener... This is both and it sticks because bunny fur is so fine and honey is so sticky that there is no separating them once they are together. And it rhymes and sounds extra cute together....not unlike an England term bees knees...do bees even have knees?
    Song...sugar pie honey bun..you know that i love you. I can't help my self, I love you and nobody else....