honey on a plastic spoon

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by perpend, Mar 25, 2013.

1. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I ran into this quote in the newspaper, which I assume is a quote from Hebrew "translated" into English somehow.
    Does it invoke some saying in Hebrew? It just doesn't translate well, though I get the meaning. I was wondering if it's based on a saying in Hebrew, and it just came across wrong?

"Is this a different tactic in which someone has smeared honey on a plastic spoon that will one day turn back into a sharp knife?" wondered Maariv newspaper columnist Shalom Yerushalmi.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar...peech-20130322

And of course, I don't speak Hebrew, so answers in English are very much appreciated!

2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
  3. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I can't read Hebrew. So, he literally said the exact same thing in Hebrew? It's just such a "creative", okay, let's go with that :), way to put things, that I assumed it was not translated correctly into English when I read it.

When I read the saying, I just got a little confused and distracted.

Thanks, origumi.

4. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Yes, it is just Yerushalmi's own turn of phrase. The next sentence continues "Everything looks too good to be real," which (I suppose) is meant to expand and explain this unusual metaphor.

5. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Okay. Thanks.