1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

honnêteté intellectuelle

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Striker, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Striker Senior Member

France
    Ireland English
    Hello there,
    I can't quite work out what "honnêteté intellectuel" means, and how to say it in English.
    In my context it's a quality required to be able to carry out a particular project.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Striker

2. catay Senior Member

Canada anglais
    I suggest "academic honesty," that the work submitted is original and if any ideas are borrowed that they be given proper credit.

3. Padraig Senior Member

Ireland
    Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    I think a literal translation possibly suits: intellectual honesty.

There is another phrase that might suit (one would need to know more about the requirements of the project): intellectual integrity.

4. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    What about intellectual candor?

Btw, Striker it's honnêteté (nf) intellectuelle.

5. Striker Senior Member

France
    Ireland English
    oops, indeed for the spelling mistake.

I'll try to get more context, because it I don't think it's about integrity, but can't be sure.
    Thanks everyone.

Striker

6. Padraig Senior Member

Ireland
    It's not a phrase I have heard often, if at all. Candour seems to be unqualified!

7. Striker Senior Member

France
    Ireland English
    It's probably just someone making it up to sound knowledgeable. The bain of all translators ;)

8. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    In fact, I'm the one who made it up, not to sound knowledgeable, but just because I thought it might exist.:eek: So, it doesn't. Can't win them all!

*Il n'est pas bien propre, ce bain. Normal, avec tous ces traducteurs qui se plongent dedans... :D
    Oh, tu veux dire the bane ? :cool:;) Cette petite plaisanterie a pour but d'illustrer l'absence d'honnêteté intellectuelle.

9. Striker Senior Member

France
    Ireland English
    Egueule, I didn't mean "intellectual candor" was made up. I know you were making a suggestion. and would never dream of making joke of anyone trying to help.
    I meant the original "honnêteté intellectuelle" was probably gibberish.
    A friend has just explained it to be somewhere between neutral and objective.
    Capable of hearing others and taking on their view without their own view getting in the way.
    Still doesn't really tell me how to say it in English. I might just go with objectivity.
    Striker

10. Striker Senior Member

France
    Ireland English
    Only just saw the last bit now. Yes probably is "bane". I've only ever heard it spoken. My mother used to call us all "the bane of her life". First time I've used the word ! Thanks

11. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Oh I see!:idea: I thought your post was an answer to Padraig's (#6).

Honnêteté intellectuelle is a set, quite common, phrase in French, I'm surprised there is no English equivalent, but that sort of thing happens. Objectivity is nearly right, but the French concept also implies that if proven wrong, you readily admit to it.

12. Padraig Senior Member

Ireland
    I'll make no comment on how honnêteté intellectuelle seems to French eyes or ears, but intellectual honesty makes sense to this Irish person. It means respecting truth and reason, and not changing one's position for reasons of popularity and expediency; in short a willingness to take principled positions.
    [egueule posted while I was still sipping coffee and composing.]

13. Striker Senior Member

France
    Ireland English
    Well then maybe I could write "Objectivity and Honesty" ?

14. Striker Senior Member

France
    Ireland English
    Thanks, well maybe that's what I should put. At least if i'm wrong it would be easily justified.
    See how easily swayed I am.
    do we translator people ever get to switch off and go watch the telly ??
    bon courage to everyone still on the job.
    Striker

15. Padraig Senior Member

Ireland
    I sometimes describe people as windscreen wipers.

16. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    If intellectual honesty makes sense then I'd definitely go for it, it certainly seems very popular on Google.

This Wiki page might interest you, Striker.

17. Striker Senior Member

France
    Ireland English
    Thanks for the page "Intellectual honesty" it will be so.
    Striker

And yes Padraig, like any good irish lass, I can always be swayed by a pint or a bar of chocolate !

18. Elihu New Member

English
    In The Age of Conversation by Benedetta Craveri (2005) she uses "honnetete" to describe a process whereby the instinctual life was sublimated and eroticization was maintained in conversation and epistolary exchange. Honnetete has therefore a much more involved reading than simple "honesty", in English. It involves an exchange or transfer whereby the instinctual (sexual) appetite is reduced and replaced with something more like, politesse. The citation is p. 8 of the above volume.