1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Honor Schmonor [prefix shm- / schm-]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by lapachis8, Aug 22, 2012.

1. lapachis8 Senior Member

El Defectuoso
    Mexico-Spanish
    Hi there:
    I came across:

"Honor is the most important value, he said.
    Honor schmoner, she replied."

It looks like a kind of curse, I guess, but could someone give a hand with this one?

The Urban dictionary definition makes no sense with the context.
    Cheers

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    There are other threads on this phenomenon, but with the device I'm using posting links isn't very convenient. This phenomenon comes from Yiddish, or at least is inspired by it. When you repeat a word and replace the first syllable of the second word with "schm" you deride the concept the word expresses.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  3. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Tazzler is right; the reason you're having problems finding information is that virtually any noun can be used this way: honor schmoner, diet schmiet, cooking schmooking.
    A: I'm cooking supper.
    B: Cooking schmooking! You're opening a can of spaghetti sauce and dumping it over pasta! That's not cooking!

A: No, thanks, no pie. I'm on diet.
    B: Diet schmiet - it's Thanksgiving. You should eat some pie.

And so on.

P.S. I tried searching for older threads, too, but I had no luck.

4. lapachis8 Senior Member

El Defectuoso
    Mexico-Spanish
    Very interesting!
    It had a Yiddish sound to it indeed.
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    Cheers!

5. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I had some luck. I searched for both "schm" and "shm" and found threads in each case.

6. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Sorry, Biffo - I searched for schm but didn't find anything at all except this particular thread. Maybe my browser is in a bad mood.

P.S. And now, of course, it's working perfectly. Ah, well!

7. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
  8. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    Said by a Yiddishe mame:
    Edipus, Schmedipus, as long as he loves his mother...

9. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
  10. K-Young Junior Member

Japanese
    [​IMG]

It's a strip from the Far side. What's this "History shimisory"? Is it a nonsense way of just saying "history?"

11. JordyBro Senior Member

English - Australia
    We use the "X shmX" structure to say something doesn't matter, is bad, doesn't have much merit, doesn't have much relevance etc. For example "politics shmolotics, I just care if the game is fun."

12. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    This little cartoon tells you that people who are unimpressed by something often make fun of that thing by mocking it with a nonsense word that rhymes with the original word and begins with the letters "shm": History, shmistory = I am not impressed by history. Indians, shmindians = I don't care about Indians. Philosophy, shmilosophy = I think philosophy is a stupid subject.

If you're not familiar with this practice in English, the cartoon won't make any sense to you.

cross-posted with Jordy

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  13. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

K-Young, I've combined your question with one of the earlier threads on this topic. Note that the schm-prefix is pretty versatile. If this thread or one of the other threads listed by Copyright doesn't answer your question, feel free to ask in this thread.

JustKate
    English Only moderator

14. srk Senior Member

South Bend, Indiana
    English - US
    But I'd never say "honor-schmoner." I'd have to say "honor-schmonner."

15. JordyBro Senior Member

English - Australia
    Searching honor-schmonner gave 8 results. We say "honor schmonor" because of the -onor, although I use honour so by extension schmonour.