Hope everything is going well: greeting for business email?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by tracy77, Feb 20, 2010.

1. tracy77 Member

Hi all,

I want to ask a question that if I want to contact someone (by email) after several days' interval, is it proper and natural to start an email with "Dear xxx, Hope everything is going well with you."? And if this is not proper, how should I start? (More background: I want to send an email to a recruiter arranging a meeting for interview and we don't have much contact before. Just several emails expressing that s/he wants to give me an interview.)

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    This seems fine, although I would probably make it even shorter, so that it's a smoother, smaller entry to the real reason you're writing:
    Dear Miss Cardiff, Hope all is well with you. With regard to the email we discussed, I can meet with you any time next week at your convenience. (Or whatever.)
  3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Hi Tracy. I hate to disagree with Mr.Right but this seems far too informal for a business email to me. I'd start with something like:
    Dear Miss Cardiff, Having not heard from you for a few days, I thought I would write to ask you about the interview we were discussing. I remain available [when] etc.
  4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    Hi Mr. Ewie... you may be right... but I suppose I factored in the "Chinese" in tracy's profile and I know that asking after your health or life or business is a pretty common entry point for local emails. I think the right approach will depend on the person you're writing to... perhaps I should have said Miss Wong. :)
  5. tracy77 Member

Thank you everyone! It's very helpful. :)