1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hope you have a wonderful christmas and a happy new year

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by TeresaRowe, Dec 9, 2004.

1. TeresaRowe New Member

England
    trying to write a christmas card .... how do I say

Hope you have a wonderful christmas and a happy new year, with lots of love?

thanks!

2. robb

robb Junior Member

Wisconsin, US
    Italy, Italian
    J'espere (with a grave accent on the second e) tu auras un joyeux noel (with a dieresis on the e) et une joyeuse nouvelle anne (with an acute accent on the second e), avec beacoup d'amour.
    My French is not really good, though. Let's see what other people think.

3. xanana

xanana Senior Member

Kuala Lumpur
    Malaisie (English)
    You always need a que after "J'espère".
    Joyeux Noël & bonne année. Que merveilleuses célébrations soyez.

X

4. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france

je te/vous souhaite un joyeux noël et une bonne année... now i need to know if 'lots of love' is included in the wishes, or if it's your closing formula ?

5. TeresaRowe New Member

England

closing formula! It's for a guy that it is a good friend but nothing else! I don't want to swear my undying love for him or anything like that!

6. Guiguitte Senior Member

Normandy, France
    France, French
    Well as a French girl I would simply say "Bonnes fêtes de fin d'année". Or you might also say "Je te souhaite un Joyeux Noël et une Bonne Année".
    As for "love" it is usually translated as "Bisous" in French. Provided that it is someone you like, like a close friend, you can write it. If you want a respectful formula then use "affectueusement". But keep in mind that this one sets a distance between you and the addressee.