Hope you have/had a good weekend -- difference

Discussion in 'English Only' started by simonwood, May 25, 2011.

1. simonwood New Member

Chinese
    Hi There,

I am new here and it is my first question here. Hope you guys help to explain to me with thanks.

What is the difference between "Hope you have a good weekend" and "Hope you had a good weekend"?

Or could you please say something about the word "hope"?
    Thanks again.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. ><FISH'> Senior Member

United Kingdom
    British English
    The first one is future tense, the second one is past tense. "Have" is present/future, "Had" is past.

3. simonwood New Member

Chinese
    Thank you, it seems I learnt wrong grammar from my high school teacher. They said "hope" is usually used in present/future. So I am confused about the "had" one.

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    You can certainly hope in the present about an event in the past whose outcome you do not know.

Consider this conversation between a husband and wife:

Husband: I talked to the president of my company this morning about my request for a promotion.
    Wife: I hope he gave you good news.
    Husband: Yes; he told me that when my supervisor retires next week, I shall get his position.

Notice that the wife hopes now, in the present, about what the president of the company told her husband several hours in the past.

In your case, suppose you knew a co-worker was going to the beach during the weekend. You see the co-worker on her first day back to work and you are curious about her trip to the beach. You might then say I hope you had a good weekend. In return, she might say "yes, the weather was beautiful and I had a wonderful weekend" or "Unfortunately, I was sick in bed the whole time, and so I did not have a good weekend."

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  5. simonwood New Member

Chinese
    Thank you GWB:)
    another question: Hope to do something. (correct) Hope sb to do something (wrong). So "I hope he gave you good news." it should be "I hope THAT he gave you good news." RIGHT?

6. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    In other words, you think the answer I gave is wrong, and that I need to correct my English? :)

Relative pronouns do not always have to be included, and often may be dropped. I hope he gave you good news and I hope that he gave you good news mean the same thing, and are both acceptable.

(You should also note that native English speakers never use the abbreviation "sb", and that many, and perhaps most, native English speakers would have no idea what you meant by it. If you wish to be understood by native English speakers, it is absolutely necessary that you write out the full word somebody.)

7. simonwood New Member

Chinese
    Hi GreenWhiteBlue, thank you very much. Of course I don't think your English is wrong. No offense to you.:) I just want to confirm about that.
    For "sb", I have to say it is also from my high school teacher. LOL. Now I get it, thank you again. Have a lovely day.