Hopefully I'll see you soon

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by emba9, Sep 27, 2010.

1. emba9 Junior Member

English
    En vez de decir "espero verte pronto" se puede decir "Ojala te vea pronto"

In English the difference would be saying "Hopefully I'll see you soon" instead of "hopefully I'll see you soon"

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. colombo-aussie

colombo-aussie Senior Member

Australia
    Spanish - Colombian
    Hi,

Yes, you can say "ojalá te vea pronto". Just out of curiosity, what is the different between the two English options provided?

3. emba9 Junior Member

English
    Oops! I mean for the second sentence to be "I hope to see you soon"
    Thanks ;)

4. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Juan, do you see any difference in meaning between "ojalá te vea pronto" and "espero verte pronto"? Does the second one sound more like you expect it to happen?

5. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Esta versión es más correcta.
    O "I hope I'll see you soon".
    "Hopefully" está mal empleado aquí, pero es tan frecuente este mal uso como es el uso de "momentarily" en el sentido de "pronto" o "dentro de un momento", en lugar de su verdadero significado, que es "durante sólo un momento".

6. colombo-aussie

colombo-aussie Senior Member

Australia
    Spanish - Colombian
    You are right, I was probably one of those who used "hopefully" wrong. It's an easy mistake for us to make though!

7. ss1971 Junior Member

United States / English
    Hola aztlaniano:

No estoy de acuerdo contigo con respecto a las dos palabras. Creo que los dos sentidos de cada palabra (<<hopefully>>, <<momentarily>>) son correctos.

-ss1971

8. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    It's so widespread that it cannot be considered a mistake.
    But, technically, "hopeful" = esperanzado, y por tanto "hopefully" sería "esperanzadamente".

9. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I was just reading that news anchor and grammarian Edwin Newman, who died last month, was famous for the sign in his office that read "Abandon 'Hopefully' All Ye Who Enter Here." I like it ...