hot sheet preacher

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mrghd, Dec 7, 2012.

1. mrghd Member

(source: Iceberg Slim - Pimp, The story of my life)

The section of the novel that contains the expression:

"I thought: Sweet sure has caught lightning in a thimble. He came out of the white man's cotton fields. He's pimped himself up to this. He's living high in the sky like a black God in heaven with the white people. He ain't no Nixxer doctor. He ain't no hot-sheet Nigger preacher, but he's here."

Slim (the main character) as a young guy with enthusiastic pimping ambitions visits Sweet Jones, the pimp king of the city. He is very impressed by the fabulous luxury of Sweet's place and even the fact that it is in a purely white neighbourhood of the city. The quoted part is an inner monologue of Slim where he elaborates his adoration of Sweet's success.

(both Slim and Sweet are Afro-Americans)

So what does 'hot-sheet Nixxer preacher' mean here? (I am also interested in the etymology of the expression)
  2. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
    The author is writing "hot-shit" as it is pronounced in the speaker's dialect. "Hot-shit" is a somewhat offensive way of saying something is very good, but it is sometimes used disparagingly to mean that they think they are very good but you thing they are not.
  3. b3n5p34km4n Member

American English
    Hm. My first impression of "Nixxer" was that it was a crudely censored "Nigger", but that obviously isn't the case. I can't think of any other word that would even resemble "Nixxer", but the word "nix" (which I'm not sure is a real word or a slang term) means "to remove" so a "Nixxer doctor" could possibly be a doctor who performs amputations? Also, the best I can do is guess at "hot-sheet" as well, which sounds like "hot-shit" which is a synonym for a "hotshot" or pretty much someone who is a big deal. So in short, I guess I'm just about as clueless as you are, but that's all I could come up with.
  4. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
    "Nixxer" is a typo by the poster. You can search inside the book on Amazon and see the actual word (the poster has typed it correctly once).
  5. b3n5p34km4n Member

American English
    So he made the same typo twice, but in between those he spelled the word correctly?

EDIT: Okay, I see. Well, "Nigger" is probably the most offensive word in the English language (at least in the U.S). It originated back when slavery existed and it's only use in the present day is either to promote bigotry, or to be historically accurate in literature (such as what you are reading). I believe it's derived from the Spanish "Negro" for "black".
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  6. mrghd Member

Thank you for the answers. To make it clear: I wrote 'Nixxer' instead of the N-word (a vulgar reference to a black person) because I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. So we are talking about 'hot sheet black preacher'
  7. b3n5p34km4n Member

American English
    The lexicographer doesn't make judgments, he or she can only make observations.
  8. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Back on topic: I agree 100% with Myridon.