1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How badly did they want him?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Tenacious Learner, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Tenacious Learner

Tenacious Learner Senior Member

Spanish
    Que significa 'how badly' en esta pregunta?
    How badly did they want him?
    Dead or alive.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    First time seeing you around here! It means "with what intensity" (an ugly paraphrase, of course). The "dead or alive" confuses me; it doesn't seem to follow.

3. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi Tazzler,
    Thank you for your reply. :) Well, you know I don't really like to translate, but that one is driving me crazy.

This is the context:
    The big police car was fast, and the kilometres went quickly. Adam was tired and wanted to sleep, but Felix wanted to talk. I saw the Chief again last night, he said. She’s getting angry. I was in her office and the President phoned her. They want Dinon badly–dead or alive. Why do they want him dead?

These were my attempts, but I was not sure at all. I don't even know what that means in Spanish.:(
    a) How did they really want him?
    b) How did they want him very much?
    c) How did they need or want him?

TS

4. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    I think the theoretical question that "they want him badly" answers would be "how bad(ly) do they want him?". I sometimes meet a roadblock when translating "how" as used like "how big" because there doesn't seem to be a common, all-purpose adverb.

5. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi Tazzler,
    Thank you for your reply. Hmm, so in the answer I can't have, 'Dead or alive'.
    Then it should be, 'How did they (the police) want Dinon? Dead or alive.', shouldn't it?
    On second thought, this could be the translation. I just figure it out because of your explanation, '"with what intensity".:)
    How badly do you love her? A lot.
    Qué tanto la quieres a ella? Mucho. / Muchísimo.

I guess 'how' can be translated as 'cómo' and ''qué'; both of them.

TS

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  6. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Hmm, yes, I suppose so. It's only theoretical, not used in practice.